MSE Poll: When did you last switch your energy provider or tariff?

MSE_Petar
MSE_Petar Posts: 333 MSE Staff
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 4 May 2021 at 5:29PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 4 May 2021

Switching to a new energy provider – or at least to a new deal with your existing provider – is an easy way to save £££s. But when did you last do it? And if it's been a while, why?

Click here to vote in the poll

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
Thanks!

Comments

• Bonnypitlad
    Bonnypitlad Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I switched within the last 6 months, I’m registered with MSE “switching service”, I occasionally receive notification that I’m still on the best deal so I’m fairly confident that I’m safe in their hands ?
  • I might be inclined to switch more often if there were more options for green energy suppliers. 
  • Gandalf644
    Gandalf644 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

If only I was allowed to switch!

I live in a village with electricity supply only.

Am stuck with storage heaters on a legacy ‘Super Tariff’ with a complex meter that only npower support.

Npower will not change my meter to a smart meter nor change our tariff despite moving us all onto a flat rate which is even more expensive.

I have tried all things to move, including going to the Energy Ombudsman who sided with npower (basically npower can do it so the Ombudsman is impotent).

I know I am not the only one being held captive by npower but when you ask why people haven’t switched, it is because some people can’t and npower is bleeding them dry.

• AlanRalph
    AlanRalph Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We switched from Scottish Power to Utility Point at the start of 2019, and the latter have been great overall. (The less said about Scottish Power the better, they made the first six months of that year very stressful, particularly for my mum.) We did do price comparisons when the contract was up for renewal, but Utility Point came out on top each time, so we're staying with them for now.
  • AlanRalph
    AlanRalph Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

If only I was allowed to switch!

I live in a village with electricity supply only.

Am stuck with storage heaters on a legacy ‘Super Tariff’ with a complex meter that only npower support.

Npower will not change my meter to a smart meter nor change our tariff despite moving us all onto a flat rate which is even more expensive.

I have tried all things to move, including going to the Energy Ombudsman who sided with npower (basically npower can do it so the Ombudsman is impotent).

I know I am not the only one being held captive by npower but when you ask why people haven’t switched, it is because some people can’t and npower is bleeding them dry.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, and I suspect you may be right about other places being in a similar bind. This sounds like something that needs a bigger spotlight shone on it, I daresay the Ombudsman, and the Government, would act if this sort of behaviour was exposed and shown to be widespread.
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 May 2021 at 6:52PM
    A year or so ago I switched via the MSE Energy Club (which has always found me a good deal) to Green Network Energy which went under recently so I was switched automatically to an equally good deal from EDF. I haven't had to do a thing and I'm on a good price. Happy customer.
  • Boa21
    Boa21 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    New tariff with existing provider last month, Avro. Was the best deal
    The force is strong in this one!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MSE is a good guide but no more than that .
  • BaBaBee
    BaBaBee Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Just switched home electric & gas supplier- Eon of many years.
    Why? because my renewed small usage work electricity contract interestingly reduced the unit price by last year's discount %      But increased the standing charge by 45.5% and removed the discount - talk aout greed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All this coming out of the first lockdown. A bad time for me!!!!!
    What's the payback for Eon - they have just lost the home contract- value to them about £2K

• mrBlue
    mrBlue Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why is it that none of the results charts ever display, for ANY Poll on my Laptop screen? Does anyone else have this problem?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback