New Post Advanced Search

Electic toothbrushes

7 replies 279 views
sevenhillssevenhills Forumite
3.2K posts
Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
Fairywill Sonic Electric Toothbrush = £9(eBay) or you can pay £150 for other brands.
You can buy a perfectly good electric shaver or can opener for £10 in Asda, so I don't see why good toothbrushes should be £20+
A sonic brush, does that mean anything. With the reduced dental appointments due to the lockdowns, I would pay £50 if I knew it was a really good toothbrush.
I use a OralB trizone cross brush at the moment, it feels better than just the round ones.

Replies

• edited 4 May at 3:04PM
    ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 May at 3:04PM
    As I've said several times before on this board, I tend to recommend Oral B toothbrushes to my patients. As they're always on a half price offer somewhere then get one that would be £50-60 for £25-30.
    I looked up the Fairywill. It was shown as £29 on Amazon - but I did see one for £9 on Ebay. They seem to come with a fair few heads as well.
    Even at £29 I would not trust the heads on this toothbrush. Your gums are very delicate and easily damaged. Proper toothbrush heads from reputable companies have a lot of thought go into the bristles to be as gentle to the gums as they can be whilst still getting a decent plaque removal. It is a fine balance.

It's dead easy to make a head that 'feels' like it's getting things clean - but without any thought to the strength/softness/sharpness of the bristles - it can be slowly causing quite a bit of irreversible damage to the gums, and indeed the teeth on the very worst examples.

Whilst the bristles will be ok - I'm not a big fan of that trizone brush head either @sevenhills it's just too big. A lot of people make the mistake of buying big-headed toothbrushes. Manual or electric. The truth is that a smaller head will always get into the nooks and crannies much better than a big one, giving a much better overall clean.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • sstevo19sstevo19 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    I got an Oral B 4000 on Amazon in the Black Friday deals a few years ago for about £20/25. Amazon has some good deals on them 🙂
  • sevenhillssevenhills Forumite
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whilst the bristles will be ok - I'm not a big fan of that trizone brush head either @sevenhills it's just too big. A lot of people make the mistake of buying big-headed toothbrushes. Manual or electric. The truth is that a smaller head will always get into the nooks and crannies much better than a big one, giving a much better overall clean.
    The thing that gets me, is that it's all based on brand and opinion; what about a trial that looked at people's teeth after brushing?
    So dentists recommend Sensodyne toothpaste because they get freebies, a trizone head is no bigger than an ordinary toothbrush. What is best to use, I haven't a clue.

• FlossFloss Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, the two dentists i have seen over the past 30 years both recommended a toothpaste purely because they use it. The second one also recommended my first electric toothbrush (just been replaced 7 years later) and told me they were on offer in Asda so "don't buy one at reception!".
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't like Oral B because after 2-3 years it had to sit on the charger 24/7.

Tried Fairywill and was very happy. It did die just out of warranty which wasn't good, but I was suitably impressed to replace it with another Fairywill. I just hope it lasts longer. 
  • sevenhillssevenhills Forumite
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Floss said:
    Funnily enough, the two dentists i have seen over the past 30 years both recommended a toothpaste purely because they use it.
    That is just what the ad says on the TV, lol
    Maybe they all work, they all claim great things. Even mouthwash claims great things, almost like we don't need to bother with toothpaste. Mouthwash stops gum disease apparently, but it doesn't work for me. My dentist says gum disease cannot be stoped.

• brook2jack2brook2jack2 Forumite
    317 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Over 90% of mouthwashes are classed as cosmetic, that is there is no evidence that they do any good for your oral health. The other couple should only be used short term when advised by your dentist. 
    If you use mouthwash do not use within two hours of brushing with toothpaste as they interact with each other and you wash all the good stuff from toothpaste away, so taking away the point of brushing with fluoride containing tooth paste! 
    For most people gum disease can be halted , but not "cured". It needs a lot of work any issues like smoking, diabetes need to be sorted, proper and effective cleaning including using interdental cleaning aids needs to be done every day . You never cure gum disease but a patient , with the help of a dental team , can keep their gum disease under control.