The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Memorial Headstone

I need to buy a headstone for my late mother's grave but have absolutely no idea how to go about this. She was buried last June so I really need to get this sorted for her (now the lockdown has almost gone) She wanted a simple stone, nothing else. I want to get the best for her but don't know if it is best to go local or national. Also, do all masons include setting the stone at the grave site, or is that the responsibility of myself ? 

Thanks.

Comments

• wasty
    wasty Posts: 100
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I just went to my local stone mason, who was recommended to me, he knew what the church regulations were.  You tell him what you want and the stone mason does everything for you, you don’t have to lift a finger, other than opening your wallet.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,310
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hubb said:
    I need to buy a headstone for my late mother's grave but have absolutely no idea how to go about this. She was buried last June so I really need to get this sorted for her (now the lockdown has almost gone) She wanted a simple stone, nothing else. I want to get the best for her but don't know if it is best to go local or national. Also, do all masons include setting the stone at the grave site, or is that the responsibility of myself ? 

Thanks.
    Don't feel you need to rush. The recommendation is that you wait at least 6-12 months after a burial to let the earth 'settle'.

Have a look round the graveyard where she is buried and get some ideas of the sort of styles and stones available. The vicar or one of the church wardens will almost certainly be able to tell you which masons were responsible for the most recent headstones.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Marcon said:
    hubb said:

Thanks.
    Don't feel you need to rush. The recommendation is that you wait at least 6-12 months after a burial to let the earth 'settle'.

Have a look round the graveyard where she is buried and get some ideas of the sort of styles and stones available. The vicar or one of the church wardens will almost certainly be able to tell you which masons were responsible for the most recent headstones.
    If you do have a look at the headstones in the place where your mother is buried take a look at the back of them as some do have the companies names at the bottom as i know my mum's does.

You could also google headstones and that will give you a good selection.

I think this was the firm we used for my mums headstone.

Headstones For Graves | Gravestones | Memorials | Essex, London, UK (abbeymemorialsltd.co.uk)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback