Is NHS Dentistry effectively dead..?

Options
I only ask as i recently checked with my dentist and his check up prices seem to have rocketed !

Wherever i look no dentists in my area are taking on NHS patients. 

What are people paying for a routine checkup now? My recent quote was £75 including any necessary x rays. Presumably if non are required the price will still be the same.

I'm not sure whether there are any healthcare plans that might be of any use.

The way things are going, i can see dental health in this country pointing downhill again.

Any thoughts please?

Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I only ask as i recently checked with my dentist and his check up prices seem to have rocketed !

Wherever i look no dentists in my area are taking on NHS patients. 

What are people paying for a routine checkup now? My recent quote was £75 including any necessary x rays. Presumably if non are required the price will still be the same.

I'm not sure whether there are any healthcare plans that might be of any use.

The way things are going, i can see dental health in this country pointing downhill again.

Any thoughts please?

It seems to vary wildly from area to area.

I live in a city with some of the highest property prices in the country (other than London) and there really is no problem getting a NHS dentist around here,

There are lots of private practices too, ranging from one man bands through to some very pretentious larger clinics. Almost to the point you wonder how they all find patients!
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    I live in a big city, and the NHS dentists are a real rarity.  I know someone on disability benefits who cannot find one, despite even contacting the NHS for help.  They have to pay private
    With love, POSR <3
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My local dentist is NHS and charges around £22 for a check up.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,855 Forumite
    Options
    giraffe69 said:
    My local dentist is NHS and charges around £22 for a check up.
    That would be £23.80 for Band 1 treatment (which includes a check-up).
  • FaceHead
    FaceHead Posts: 737 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There is no NHS dentistry. All dentists are private, and some have a contract with the NHS which means they can treat patients and the NHS contribute to the cost of it. It's still private dentistry, just either paid for by the patient entirely at the point of use, or partly at the point of use and partly through taxes. 

So yes, NHS dentistry is dead, and has been so for a couple of decades. 
  • Undervalued
    Options
    FaceHead said:
    There is no NHS dentistry. All dentists are private, and some have a contract with the NHS which means they can treat patients and the NHS contribute to the cost of it. It's still private dentistry, just either paid for by the patient entirely at the point of use, or partly at the point of use and partly through taxes. 

Well you could say that of GP surgeries too. Pharmacies as well.

The vast majority of GP practices are private businesses / partnerships with a contract to provide NHS services in addition to any private work they choose to take on.
  • FaceHead
    FaceHead Posts: 737 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    FaceHead said:

The vast majority of GP practices are private businesses / partnerships with a contract to provide NHS services in addition to any private work they choose to take on.

I agree, and would say that GP services are going in the direction of dentistry, but GP services aren't nearly as far gone.

GP surgeries are typically owned by the NHS (rather than the private practitioner), many of the staff are employed by the NHS and the GP contract means they have to let you register if you live in the area, they have to see you etc. and of course there are no fees.

Hospitals are all that's left in the NHS. GPs are a bit of a grey area, but NHS Dentistry is the dodo. 
  • Undervalued
    Options
    FaceHead said:
    FaceHead said:

I agree, and would say that GP services are going in the direction of dentistry, but GP services aren't nearly as far gone.

GP surgeries are typically owned by the NHS (rather than the private practitioner), many of the staff are employed by the NHS and the GP contract means they have to let you register if you live in the area, they have to see you etc. and of course there are no fees.

Hospitals are all that's left in the NHS. GPs are a bit of a grey area, but NHS Dentistry is the dodo. 
    Some are but it is my understanding that is a small minority.
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I belong to a NHS dentist and was was charged £28 (I believe) for a check up.  I had to have a 2 tooth plate to replace a removed tooth. I had 3 options, £239 for NHS one, then more for a better NHS one and £950 for a private one. I opted for the most expensive as was told it was very comfortable and it is. I am going to have bonding done on 4 front teeth as they have discolouration cut price apparently. As I'd recently spent a lot, these will be done for £95 per tooth instead of £150. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had this done.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback