PRA - Unenforceable but on DMP?

Hi all,

Attempting to sort mum out of a hole of two decades of old debts. Barclaycard was bought by PRA at christmas and following threads here have sent all debtors CCA requests. PRA is the largest (50%) and the only to come back and say it's not enforceable. She's been on a DMP since June, but due to retirement and redundancy we have to stop - can we just now effectively ignore the PRA debt? 

The other four creditors have smaller debts, but due to her income now dropping 80% I think the strategy should be to inform them of this, that the DMP has ceased due to circumstances, and that we can do a full and final of 20% to settle these with family lending. Does this seem a coherent idea?

Many thanks for any advice.

Replies

• fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    18.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    essex201 said:
    Hi all,

Attempting to sort mum out of a hole of two decades of old debts. Barclaycard was bought by PRA at christmas and following threads here have sent all debtors CCA requests. PRA is the largest (50%) and the only to come back and say it's not enforceable. She's been on a DMP since June, but due to retirement and redundancy we have to stop - can we just now effectively ignore the PRA debt? 

Yes - what can they do?

It's a lower priority now than the enforceable debts. 

Your strategy seems sound - you may have to go up from 20% to settle though.

Are you sure an insolvency solution wouldn't be better value?
  • essex201essex201 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    fatbelly said:
    essex201 said:
    Hi all,

Yes - what can they do?

It's a lower priority now than the enforceable debts. 

Your strategy seems sound - you may have to go up from 20% to settle though.

Are you sure an insolvency solution wouldn't be better value?
    possibly would be she doesn't want to go down that route. total non-pra debt is about 6k so with redundancy and a negotiation (hopefully) it's not an insurmountable sum. 
  • Suseka97Suseka97 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sounds like you are on top of things and I agree with Fatbelly, that you may have to go up from the 20% (some DCAs can be a bit stubborn on that score).  

As for PRA, I'd set them aside for now - but be aware that they will still keep writing to your mum regardless of the UE status.  Just ignore the letters and you may find that they start offering you discounts further down the line.  Of course, assuming they stay UE then you could just park them for good.

• DjangoUnchainedDjangoUnchained Forumite
    202 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    my pra account has been UE for over 4 years now, every couple of months i get a statement, offering me 20% off ie pay 80%, while its UE they can get nothing.
  • DjangoUnchainedDjangoUnchained Forumite
    202 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    even if they did come back with a legit CCA i would let them take me to court as chances are they would mess it up anyway.
  • Suseka97Suseka97 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    even if they did come back with a legit CCA i would let them take me to court as chances are they would mess it up anyway.
    I can see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't be that complacent when it comes to the PRA Group.  Now if it were LINK then maybe, but the PRA are a pretty litigious bunch and if they found a genuine (legit) CCA and were able to provide all the necessary paperwork to back that up, then you'd be braver than I to chance your arm at court.  The best way to handle things if PRA dig up paperwork is to haggle and avoid the unnecessary court action that might ensue.  
  • liggerz87liggerz87 Forumite
    360 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Also be worth checking credit rating to see if any debts are showing on there