Debt collector search of credit file

Options
Hi im in a DMP with stepchange have been for 6 years, still paying and have about 5 years left. 
Assett collections this week have searched my credit report, although paying via stepchange every month, why would they do this? Should I be worried they are about to register a CCJ against me? 

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 April 2021 at 1:37PM
    Options
    Asset collections are just another debt purchasing company doing a search on you.

They have most likely acquired one of your debts.

Only a court can register a CCJ, should a creditor go down the legal route, then there is a legal process to be followed, a letter before action, followed by a claim form, which you can defend, nothing happens automatically, so relax.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I agree with the above. They'll be the new owner of something, and stepchange will be paying them instead of the previous one. 

Court action on a debt in a dmp is extremely rare as there is nothing to be gained from it by the creditor.

An 11-year dmp is very long though. You maybe want to think about saving a lump sum and hitting these people with a full and final settlement offer.

Asset will have bought this for something like 10% of the balance figure.
  • LMJ10
    LMJ10 Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wondering why they would do a search when they’ve had my debt for a
    while, unless another one has been passed on. 

I am waiting for my house sale to go thru, I have £30k left to pay and will have £10k lump sum so hoping to get it down with those funds on F&F 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback