Distributing business cards for computer repairs start up

I had some cards made, and dropped about 80 in a local road's letterboxes.  No responses so far, but then computer repairs aren't as in demand as plumbers etc.

Any tips on an alternative way to distribute them? Bit wary of leaving them under car wipers

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I've tried this , leaflet distribution or business cards was a failure 

Newsagents windows , failure

Local Facebook groups better response

Downsides , get rid of malware and viruses of a pc , they ring up a month later "it's still infected" when it's actually because they are back on the dodgy sites you removed and told them was the source.

I gave up
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • makara
    makara Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the feedback.  Only had one customer like that, who kept using his adult daughter's university laptop to surf !!!!!!, and after I fixed it he kept calling me for the next 4 days, complaining something else had gone wrong with it.  I eventually told him I am busy, and parted ways.  Thereafter I told customers that once a PC leaves my premises (or I leave their premises) anything that subsequently goes "wrong" will incur a call-out charge.  It's worked, as no one reports problems - or the ones that do come back stump up the money.
  • makara
    edited 21 April 2021 at 4:32PM
    Thanks, interesting perspective.  

My existing customers have been asking me to give (some) cards to them to give to people they know

- I guess that falls into the realm of "personal recommendation"
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If I needed someone to fix a computer I'd go by a personal recommendation - -and as above wouldn't trust my pc to someone who had left a card in my letterbox. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2021 at 11:57AM
    I used to run a community magazine which we hand delivered through doors. We used to have 2-3 computer bods advertising at any one time and they did well. People, particularly older people, trust the advertisers in their local magazines far more than random cards and leaflets that come through. Is there something similar in your area?

80 cards isn't anything like enough to elicit immediate responses. We were delivering 4000 magazines a month.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• makara
    Not sure there currently is, although I believe there has been in the past.  Thanks for the idea, I'll do some digging 
  • makara
    Slinky said:
    80 cards isn't anything like enough to elicit immediate responses. We were delivering 4000 magazines a month.
    Thanks, I already have 2000 business cards, and revamped the design then ordered 2000 more...so about 4000 in total now. 

I take your point about 80 not being enough...might deliver say 400 more to see if I get responses...
  • makara
    Slinky said:

So is it a numbers game? My 4000 cards cost £60 in total...if I deliver all of them in my local area, to 4000 doors...the expectation / hope is that at least a few of those 4000 homes will respond...netting me hopefully more business than the £60 cost incurred? 
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    makara said:
    Slinky said:

So is it a numbers game? My 4000 cards cost £60 in total...if I deliver all of them in my local area, to 4000 doors...the expectation / hope is that at least a few of those 4000 homes will respond...netting me hopefully more business than the £60 cost incurred? 
    Who knows?

Anyone else offering computer repairs in the area?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback