Newly bankrupt can somebody help please.

Options
I went bankrupt on April 7th (nearly 2 weeks ago) I had a phone call from somebody at the insolvency just to check some details and then I was emailed some forms to sign (data protection etc) I’ve not heard anything since. I just wanted to know is everyone interviewed by the official receiver? Or do they decide not to interview some? I’ve read online the interview needs to be within 2 weeks of going bankrupt. 

Also, what’s everyone’s experience of having bank accounts frozen? My NatWest has been frozen. My main concern is after I submitted my form I’d forgotten that I have a joint HSBC account with mum, we set it up years ago after I’d got divorced. I never use the account and I don’t owe any money on it (there’s no overdraft) my concern is her pension gets paid into it and she uses it for her shopping each week, are they likely to freeze the joint account? I can’t talk to my mun about it as she has no idea of my financial mess and she’d be devastated if she knew. My main current account is with HSBC which I owe £700 overdraft on, I’m not concerned about this account I’m just so worried they’ll freeze my joint one with my mum. 

If anyone could help please I’d be very grateful. 

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,924 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 April 2021 at 5:44PM
    Options
    Ideally you should have made watertight arrangements with regard to these matters before declaring bankruptcy.

Leaving it till after the fact is not recommended.

One of two things will happen, either the OR will take no interest in this account, or they will freeze it, then decide how much of the money to release to each of the joint account holders.

My suggestion would be to ring them and explain the circumstances surrounding this account as soon as you can, before the wheels of bureaucracy start to turn.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If you declared your overdrawn HSBC account (as you should have) then it must be closed. I would have thought it quite likely that other joint accounts would also  be initially frozen too. I would have expected both to happen within 2 weeks.

I agree with sourcrates.
  • Locsoc
    Locsoc Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Ideally you should have made watertight arrangements with regard to these matters before declaring bankruptcy.

Leaving it till after the fact is not recommended.

One of two things will happen, either the OR will take no interest in this account, or they will freeze it, then decide how much of the money to release to each of the joint account holders.

My suggestion would be to ring them and explain the circumstances surrounding this account as soon as you can, before the wheels of bureaucracy start to turn.
    Do you mean call the OR about the joint account or HSBC? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback