124»

Comments

• Stratus
    Stratus Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your symptoms are not uncommon.

Some videos to enjoy here:

Dr Maryanne Demasi - Statin Wars: Have we been misled by the evidence.

The Australian Catalyst programmes she refers to in her talk were broadcast a few years ago but can still be seen here:

Heart of the Matter Part 1 Dietary Villains

Heart of the Matter Part 2 - Cholesterol Drug War

Each are just 30 minutes long. They may at least distract you from your side effects for a while.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 April 2021 at 3:56PM
    Options
    Hi, I'm 71 and have been on Atorvastatin for quite a while now but on a very low dose. Before I agreed to take it, I'd heard all the arguments for and against statins and discussed everything thoroughly with my GP as I'm also on Losartan, for high BP. 

My GP gave me all the facts and figures and we discussed and then he left me to mull over all the info I'd researched and what he told me and in the end I started out on a very low dose of Atorvastatin, which I'm still taking. It's not increased as yet. 

GP also advised more exercise, healthier eating and losing weight. (I'm still working on those!) But I know that if I adopted a healthier lifestyle that my medication could possibly be reduced. I'm aware that many GPs tend to prescribe tablets and seem to be happy to do so but they do have to act responsibly as people's lives are in their hands.

I weighed up all the pros and cons - and nobody else can do that for you, really. My family has a history of heart attacks and high cholesterol so I decided to just give a statin a try. I started out on Simvastatin but didn't like it (simply because I'd heard that it was the cheaper alternative to Atorvastatin - snobby reason, really) and asked to switch to Atorvastatin. It wasn't a problem. 

Touch wood and so far I haven't had any adverse effects. But everyone is different. And maybe now, with the pandemic, isn't a good time because you seem to just be sitting there worrying about medication. Distractions is what you need, imho. If your GP is keeping a close eye on your blood tests and any side effects then that's a good thing. 

As you say, you can't really ask for medical advice here - or anywhere else online for that matter - so you may have to reluctantly trust the people whose job it is to know what they are doing where any patient's welfare is concerned.

Also, I'd advise not to look at the videos as recommended but rather treat yourself to a movie or two or order a book or two, or go a walk, or anything other than sitting worrying and whittling about tablets. Anxiety tends to make any symptoms worse anyway. 

Try to enjoy your life while you can. And I say that as someone who is older. I'm on tablets, I'm fine and I'm about to launch my own online business. Side effects WILL come, I'm sure, if you brood about them. 

PS I hope your review appointment went well today. Your GP seems to be on the ball though.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • PterionPterion
    Options
    Seeking medical advice online or even researching can be difficult. As someone mentioned earlier the internet will be awash with personal experiences, opinions and beliefs none of which will be relevant to your personal health management. 

No one is better placed to provide medical advice than your GP, certainly not strangers on the internet who will not have a complete picture of your health status. Your GP is not involved in a pill-pushing conspiracy. Their decision is based on the latest evidence and guidance. 
    High cholesterol is a silent but significant risk factor for many conditions that reduce quality of life and needs to be managed appropriately. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback