Bank Charges

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I need you advice

Currently I am struggling with debt, I have a very young family and am currently supporting my wife and 2 pre school kids on my salary.

as a result I have an 800 overdraft on my current account (Lloyds) and I always budget to make sure I dont go over it however, 2 months ago I had the misfortune of going over my overdraft limit due to an unexpected bill (the gas company sent a end of year settlement of £60, I thought it included that months direct debit payment....it was in addition to)

The bank sent a letter out saying they would charge me for going over (as expected) but that they would be sending me a letter telling me when it would be coming out.

Nothing was sent or charged last month, and I stayed in my overdraft, and likewise this month nothing has been sent HOWEVER they have charged me and as a result I have gone £20 over my overdraft again!!!

The thing is, they did not send me a letter telling me when it would be coming out and I have £80 worth of change all bagged to be taken to the bank tomorrow (when Im not at work)

where do I stand on this? I dont mind paying the existing charge but I feel very angry that they have waited 2 months and not sent me any correspondence tellimg me they were taking the money out, if they had I would have taken the money to the bank before now.

Can I get the next lot of charges cancelled ?

Thank you for listening and your help.

Tpáz

BTW this is not all my debt - just the problem I face today :(

Comments

• mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The best thing you can do is contact them and query it.

Any charges and dates with Lloyds are usually listed with your monthly statement on a separate page at the end (ie. charges for period...£xx.xx to be taken out on xx/xx/xxxx). It wouldn't have been in a separate letter. Could it be that you missed this amongst your statement paperwork?

Either way, if you are intending to go into your branch tomorrow anyway, it may be worth calling your branch today and seeing if anyone will be in on Saturday to sort this out for you. If your account's been in order apart from this one time, it's well worth a try. You'll have to call the central call centre to be put through to your branch (but that's another moan! :mad:).
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • Tpaz
    Tpaz Posts: 47 Forumite
    Thank you MrCow for your reply,

You see, I check my statements online as I get an exact to the day balance on the day (ie if I've been to the cashpoint on the way to work and check the account when I get there it's on the statement page). and I've been getting and just filing my statements. so yes your right, it will have been sent, I'll have just missed it (by expecting a seperate letter)

:( this makes it worse because it could have been and would have been avoided. :(

Oh well......you live and learn.
  • mrcow
    But please don't give up on it.

Still query it with them. You're only human as are they and they make take off the second charge, considering that it was a bank charge that made you go over a second time? It's worth a go at least?
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
  • Tpaz
    Dont worry, Im not giving up

I'm gonna go to the branch nearest work in 10 mins (in town, it's not my branch) and speak to someone there

Hopefully I will get a sympathetic ear, and get the second set of charges dropped.

as my dad always said - 'Shy Bairns get nowt'

Cheers Mrcow
  • Tpaz
    Ok, I've been to the Bank, explained the above and they were very helpful

The guy on the counter told me that 'if it was a bank charge which pushed you into you overdraft, you wont be charged for it'

I spoke to one of the account managers too and he said that if there is a charge on the account they will clear it, I have an appointment with him the same time next week so I can confirm this, also I am getting a budgeting\billing account setup for all my direct debits so Im am better organised

Thanks for your advice mrcow

Tpáz
  • mrcow
    That's great...at least you won't be worrying about it over the weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport