Beware Tesco Clubcard Boost Coupons with Stenaline

Options
I have recently traded in a large number of Tesco Clubcard vouchers, tripling their value when used on toward a Stenaline fare, and now feel completely duped.
I am considering a future trip to Belfast to see Family once Covid allows for travel.  I checked out the pricing for over the summer on the Stenaline website and in truth found it was pretty much what I would normally pay.  

Stena has three pricing grades:  Economy which gives you no flexibility to change or cancel / Flexi which allows changes and full refund up to the day before travel and Premium which allows changes and a refund up to 2 hours before travel.  I personally find the Flexi option works for me should my plans change and at £15 more each way compared to Economy, covers any eventualities that may arise.

So finding my price, I applied for the Tesco Clubcard  / Stenaline Vouchers and found that, no matter how many times I tried, they could not be applied to my booking.

Rechecking my email, I discovered that the Clubcard Vouchers could only be applied on a particular Stena / Tesco website.  When the dates are applied, the Tesco Clubcard cost is much higher than the prices quoted on the main Stenaline website.  Take off the Clubcard Points Vouchers and I am back down to the middle / Flexi price of my original quote.  So, in effect, I have actually just wasted using my points.

To make matters worse, the Terms and Conditions state that the Tesco Clubcard Ticket booking has a similar status to an Economy fare, so any cancellation would mean I would lose all of my money.

I feel that this is not explained as fully as it should be on the Clubcard Website and really has left a sour taste in my mouth as I cannot revert the vouchers back to Clubcard Points which at their original cost, would be of more use to me.

Always look into the rules before jumping into any points to voucher offers.  It seems that as usual, many deals are too good to be true.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback