Gym membership Cancellation

Options
Please can anyone help me
I signed up with a gym/health club January 20, it was a years contract.
Obviously while we've  been in lockdown they stopped taking payments but are going to restart they open. However, unfortunately i contracted coronavirus and was very ill (hospitalised) but made a good  recovery but am not as fit was to be able to return to fitness /spin classes and swimming so i cancelled  my direct debit. Also my hours at work are now reduced.
I've just recieved an email saying that i have to continue paying for at least 3 mnths to finish my contract (which finished in January)
They have threatened debt collectors if i dont pay.
 Any advice would be very welcome please

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That sounds very reasonable to me - you promised to pay them for 12 months... maybe make 'going swimming' an initial goal for you.  There will be no spin classes for quite a while...  You've had quite a few months of use already - July to December?  Speak to them and explain your situation... you may strike lucky.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • Avaline2121
    Options
    Please can anyone help me
    I signed up with a gym/health club January 20, it was a years contract.
    Obviously while we've  been in lockdown they stopped taking payments but are going to restart they open. However, unfortunately i contracted coronavirus and was very ill (hospitalised) but made a good  recovery but am not as fit was to be able to return to fitness /spin classes and swimming so i cancelled  my direct debit. Also my hours at work are now reduced.
    I've just recieved an email saying that i have to continue paying for at least 3 mnths to finish my contract £49 per month (which finished in January)
    They have threatened debt collectors if i dont pay.

Any advice would be very welcome please
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like you agreed to pay £49 per month for 12 months, so a total of £588 plus whatever joining fee there might have been.

For reasons beyond everyone's control, that 12 months could not run simply January to January but is prolonged (with gaps of no service and no payment) so you still owe 3 more months payment and will get 3 more months use / availability £147.

Given that there must have been at least 7 months closed (lockdown April 2020 then lockdown November 2020, then lockdown January 2021) and longer, depending upon where in the country you are located, if the gym are only seeking 3 more months, that does seem fair.  Your total payments will be less than the original £588 envisaged.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Should never cancel the direct debit, it doesn't cancel the contract ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback