Worried about Halifax mortgage application

Options
Hi hope someone can put our minds at ease. We applied for a mortgage other day with Halifax . We first got aip we went direct . After the aip they told us to upload wage slips and proof of tax credits and carers allowance . The mortgage advisor wanted to get income varified before she said we can start looking at houses . We got the email to say income varified and go and put an offer on a house which we did. We put our application in via phone. Declared the fact my wife has a ccj from 5 years ago. I have excellent credit no problems and wife on fair . Anyway during telephone call I was asked for my current job how long I have been there for and also previous job and when that started.  Problem is I have only been in current job for 8 months which is permanent and my previous job was 9 months before this I was a carer to my son who is disabled since 2012 which we told them during that time it was my wife that worked and was in that job for 7 years before being made redundant   when this happened we swapped roles I went out to work and she cares for our son. So basically I have employment history since October 2019 with 2 different jobs but in same line of work. My first job I got made redundant because of covid . Luckily I got another job straight away and been there since. Anyway after phone call they said we had passed credit score and took money for level 2 survey.  I'm just worried about my employment history and wife's ccj even though she said it has passed credit check I'm still unsure if we will get a mortgage offer. Do Halifax let you know when the valuation is? We havent heard anything since application and hoping we can get an offer . I have looked at Halifax criteria and it just says current employment details collected and doesnt mention how long you need to he in your job for or work history.  Thanks if anyone can help.

Comments

• K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @shay10 Your employment situation as described is not normally a problem with Halifax.

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Try not to worry too much. Halifax seem to be one of the more sensible lenders.

We got our remortgage approved going direct to Halifax in January and I have a satisfied CCJ from 2015.

The valuation was booked for the day after we applied online and we had our mortgage offer within 3 days of the application. Ours was a more straight forward case than yours though other than the CCJ.

They not to get too stressed about it.
  • Shay10
    Shay10 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

We got our remortgage approved going direct to Halifax in January and I have a satisfied CCJ from 2015.

The valuation was booked for the day after we applied online and we had our mortgage offer within 3 days of the application. Ours was a more straight forward case than yours though other than the CCJ.

It's just so nerve wracking that's all. Did you get a notification as when the valuation would be done? Or do they just do it without you knowing of when it's going to be? 
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Shay10 said:

It's just so nerve wracking that's all. Did you get a notification as when the valuation would be done? Or do they just do it without you knowing of when it's going to be? 
    Ours was a remortgage so the survey company phoned us to arrange the valuation. They booked it in for the day following our application.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback