New build alterations / mortgages

Hi all -

I’ve recently bought a new build house off plan and the builder is allowing us to make alterations to make it our dream home (which we’ll be funding separate to the mortgage / despising). On plans it’s currently a 5 bedroom, two ensuite and double garage home. However, we want to knock two of the bedrooms together to create a master suite with balcony and convert the second ensuite into a dressing room. We also want to convert the garage into a lounge and store room. 

Our mortgage provider has already done a valuation and agreed to offer us a mortgage but this would have been done based on the original / current plans.

I would appreciate your views on:

1) will the changes impact my mortgage offer and do I need to notify them of these changes? The alternations are being paid for by us separate to the mortgage but If they do a further checks on completion they might be shocked to find a missing bedroom and garage and that could be valued differently?

2) Would a 4 bedroom (master bedroom bigger bedroom with dresser / ensuite and balcony) be of a similar resale value / to a home with five beds (but small bedrooms albeit with separate ensuites)?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• lonibra
    lonibra Posts: 365
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I may be wrong buy I think lenders will value off plan once before construction and then after. In case they reduce valuation then you have to make up the difference or find a different lender. I guess if that risk is ok with you, then I don't see a problem.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If they've valued "off plan", and the plan changes, then yes I'd expect they'd want to know - wouldn't you? Though I wouldn't expect a significant difference if the floor area of the house is the same.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback