Sainsbury’s shift change, what will happen

Hello, need help with info please.
have worked for 2 nights a week at Sainsbury’s for almost two year. Not the nicest place, allot of bullying, back stabbing, every man for themselves,  cliquey place to work.
I keep my head down and get my work done and try and stay out of it.
they want to change my shift pattern by a couple of hours, due to covid, online shopping changes etc.
I am not interested in changing my times, it would clash with kids on school buses and I would never get home, also they have never been ‘flexible’ nice or accommodating towards me when I have needed. 
I have stayed longer that I have planned because of covid and am will to leave if they ‘officially’ implement it.
what are the steps they will take and how long do I have, I have heard 4week, 8 weeks and 12 weeks, unsure what the procedure is.
HR doesn’t have a clue and manager will say what every they need to say to get what they want from you.

thank

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    With less than 2 years service, if you do not agree to a change of hours, they can just dismiss you and unless your contract says otherwise, they only need to give you one week's notice.. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Contract says 4 weeks
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Then they have to give you 4 weeks' notice.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • I think you should be reviewing your terms of condition that I assumed you signed when agreeing to work for them. If you do not have a copy of it then ask for a copy of the one you signed and handed back to them. All the gossip stuff you put at the front end of that post has no baring on what your rights are as an employee and your right to appeal a decision you do not agree with. 

• Livinlovinlaughin
    Livinlovinlaughin Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 March 2021 at 5:33PM
    I am well aware that the atmosphere and treatment of me at work has nothing to do with the outcome of me being asked to leave.
    just want to set the scene and put out there that I am willing to leave and the reasons why.

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I assume you have spoken to your manager and/or HR to let them know that you don't want to change your shift pattern? Also assuming that you have an employment contract?  Haven't they given you a date to start the change - I'm not sure why you say "4week, 8 weeks and 12 weeks". If HR isn't giving you any comprehensive information, then they are doing a bit of a bad job. Sometimes just sitting down with management and having a chat about changes they want to implement is helpful, why not ask for a short meeting so you can discuss things properly?

There is some info here from Acas - 
    https://www.acas.org.uk/employment-contracts
    and you can also phone them to discuss your work situation and ask for advice.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Livinlovinlaughin
    Livinlovinlaughin Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2021 at 6:25PM
    My contract notice is 4 weeks.
    HR read from information that was on our website saying negotiations can take up to 8 weeks 🤷🏽‍♀️
    Store manager has said 12 weeks.

Had a meeting with manager, will be having another one next week.
    Was told last week and they wanted it to change this week, now have been given till next meeting then shift will change or start the 12 week process, I assume to get rid of me... like I said it’s not very clear
  • Notice has to be 4 weeks

Are you getting mixed up with consultation period and implantation period? IE Personal negations will take around 8 weeks but they aren't looking to implement for 12 weeks? Therefore everyone is given 4 weeks notice on the change of hours ( if they decide to accept them )

• Notice has to be 4 weeks

Are you getting mixed up with consultation period and implantation period? IE Personal negations will take around 8 weeks but they aren't looking to implement for 12 weeks? Therefore everyone is given 4 weeks notice on the change of hours ( if they decide to accept them )

Less that a weeks notice was given for shift change, extra week given to ‘think about it’ but expected to start next week, which would be less than two weeks notice.

I think manager was talking about 12 week to set ball rolling for actually contract change and if I did not accept, I would leave/ they would ask me to leave... that’s the impression I got, unsure, still in shock with how it’s all been dealt with, it was at the end I’ve a very long shift, will get more detail when I meet with manager again.
  • route101
    route101 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Noticed Sainsburys around me have hardly been hiring. I wonder if its a recruitment ban. Morrisons laid off Xmas temps
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback