Debt recovery letter sent to our home

Options
I opened it as it just showed our house number and street through the window and I though it was something for us, but it turns out to be for someone else, a woman I've never heard of. They put her name, the name of a block of flats at the top of our road, but then our house number and street. I've looked on 192.com and can't see her on there for our area. It's clearly not the first communication as they're agreeing to suspend court action following her communication as long as she pays the British Gas debt immediately.

What is the best way to deal with this please? Should I phone Moorcroft and explain they've got a mixed-up address? The block of flats doesn't have a numbered flat which corresponds to our house number which is much higher. Write to them? Put any further letters back in the post with 'Not known at this address'? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Comments

• always_amazed
    Options
    I don't have a clue but I thought I'd bump this up for you a bit!!
    LBM : August 2007
    my debts: less than this time last year....!
    DFW Nerd Club #706I'm Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
  • Di-Dough
    Di-Dough Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    I think its probably best to let the debt company know what they have done - after that its up to them to get the address right.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 007
  • AGB863
    AGB863 Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Post it back and put a covering letter in with it explaining the situation
    I am a debt counsellor working in the voluntary sector - we don't charge our clients for the work we do!
  • Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I'll write to them.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    Make sure you return all such letters as "addressee not known at this address" and RM will return them to Moorcroft for you.

Suggest just calling Moorcroft and letting them know. They will then try to trace the person.

It happens with flats in London/Glasgow especially.

If you get a debt collector on your doorstep, just tell them and they will go away.

As long as they known the debtor has left, they just stop the comms and do a trace.

If you get anymore hassle, post on the gas & elec board where there are sector workers who can advise you. Only spotted it myself by chance dearching for a BGas post of mine.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Sola
    Options
    Despite calling Moorcroft AND writing to them, they haven't changed their records (knew they wouldn't because of the thick woman I spoke to) and another letter turned up for the woman today. I'll put it back in the post 'Addressee Not Known At This Address - see previous correspondence.'
  • Angel11_2
    Options
    PM sent Sola

Angel :A
    :A :A :A :A :A :A

Little bubba due 12th September 2011
  • ohmochraich
    Options
    DONT tell them YOUR name - I was in the same situation and phoned them up in order to get their records corrected and then started getting letters for the debt IN MY NAME. I ended up with a default notice on my previously spotless credit record - which I cannot get removed .
    All because i was trying to be helpful!
    please see thread someone elses debt transferred into my name :confused:
    :rotfl:If it weren't for stress I'd have no energy at all. First rule of acting: Whatever happens, look as if it were intended.;)
    Don't follow in my footsteps, I walk into walls:smileyhea When in doubt .............mumble.
    I may look busy, but I'm just confused.:T I smile because i have no idea what's going on.:rotfl:
  • Sola
    Options
    Still getting letters from Moorcroft for this woman. I've told Moorcroft by phone and fax where she lives but they're not changing their records. We've been putting them back in the post 'Addressee Not Known At This Address' but this could go on forever. Any more suggestions on how to stop this? Can I just bin the letters or is that illegal? I got my Equifax report last night and nothing dodgy on there.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sola

They are breaking the Data Protection Act by failing to keep accurate records and by send you details of another person's debt. I would suggest that you write to the Information Commissioner below, perhaps enclosing the letter? Tell them what you have been doing to try and sort it out. Explain why you opened the first letter as you are not supposed to open mail addressed to other people.

You could also try the Trading Standards in the area where Moorcroft are based as they license them and it might get them to move.
    Office of Fair Trading, Contact page: http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_res...ase/legal/cca/

The Information Commissioners Office, Complaints page: http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints.aspx
    (note: I chose to complete and download the .pdf form on Data Protection, which I am also sending to the other offices, with an accompanying letter)

Trading Standards, Central office homepage: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/
    -Please note, you can search by inserting the postcode in the top right hand corner, remember to use the postcode of the DCA rather than your own-

Consumer Credit Association, enquiries page: http://www.ccauk.org/consenquiries.htm

the Financial Ombudsman Service, Contacts page: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org/contact/index.html

Members of parliament list, (as provided by RAS): http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/clomps.cfm
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport