Census Jobs 2021

in Boost Your Income
9 replies 471 views
Hey all
Was looking for a thread and managed to find one for the last Census! (which I also had a role in:)
I was late applying this year mainly because I was afraid of the virus.  However I applied on the 23rd February and after many steps I now have a face to face meeting to show my right to work documents on the 1st April!  This is the last stage...hopefully I will get a job :#

Replies

• jools1985jools1985 Forumite
    255 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I think you are petty much through when you get to that stage.
    I applied on the 17th February and had my right to work meeting last Tuesday and started my training the same day. It was 20 hours online training, a further meeting on Saturday to collect my security pass and outdoor kit, and I'm out working on the Census tomorrow.
  • Ibrahim5Ibrahim5 Forumite
    213 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I retired early and was interested in the census jobs. I was all ready to apply and then I thought PPE? Walking from house to house in PPE. Face mask all day. Was enough to put me off. I will never understand why they didn't just put it off until next year.
  • 32Bitter32Bitter Forumite
    30 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Ibrahim5 said:
    I retired early and was interested in the census jobs. I was all ready to apply and then I thought PPE? Walking from house to house in PPE. Face mask all day. Was enough to put me off. I will never understand why they didn't just put it off until next year.
    The last 2011 Census I was on 40 hour contract.  This time it is only 25 hours so for me it is not too bad...
    213 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yes but it seems a bit silly having people walk from door to door. The whole point of the lockdown is that you don't do things that aren't essential. I am sure they could have waited until next year for the data.
  • NaughtiusMaximusNaughtiusMaximus Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ibrahim5 said:
    Yes but it seems a bit silly having people walk from door to door. The whole point of the lockdown is that you don't do things that aren't essential. I am sure they could have waited until next year for the data.
    The census is one of the primary mechanisms used for planning national and local government service provision. I would argue that's far more essential than having the option to order takeaways (delivered by someone going door to door), which is something we've all been able to do during lockdown.
  • 203846930203846930 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ibrahim5 said:
    The census is not until next year here in Scotland so it was possible for E & W to do the same.
    213 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    If E&W had waited until next year Scotland would have done it this year.
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    44.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could well be the last one 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51468919

• TVASTVAS Forumite
    498 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Ibrahim5 you are correct which is what the Scots did (defer until next year). Apart from not spreading the disease, this is an unusual year as some people have changed their living habits due to Covid which may not apply next year. E.g. students living at home this year may be back at Uni next year. Same with young adults who have lost their job have given up their rented accommodation and returned to the parental home. Again next year they might have a new job and moved out.

It is a total waste of time anyway. Those deprived areas 30 years ago are still deprived now after 3 or 4 Census.