We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cleaning 'stone' and grouting on garden wall

twopenny
twopenny Posts: 5,532 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
Hoping someone has experience here and can help but I posted on the DIY forum and it's received spectacular lack of interest compared to more interesting things.
I'll just post the link because it has the explanation and photos. Any thoughts are welcome.
I don't know how to get a thread moved.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had some similar and they came up well after jet blasting - I know you aren't supposed to do it very often as can damaged stone but was very effective. I did huge amounts of it in the sunny weeks we had when lockdown started last year, all sorts of leftover jobs were done!
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Thanks, don't have the equipment. My nieghbour does but while boasting about it I though he might offer to lend. That didn't happen :)
    I tried spraying bleach. Had to be careful because of new plants and it was medium effective, in some parts more than others. Then used the wire brush carefully and they are looking better. A bit of patina, brighter but less just neglected.
    While I'm doing the slabs I'll drop hints around about a jet blaster.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 March 2021 at 8:55PM
    Well I think they look great & I certainly would not worry about cleaning them at all.
    If you really really hate the look then it would probably be cheaper to replace the copings rather than spend lot of money on chemicals that probably don't work.

• Scot22
    Scot22 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am thinking of buying power washer for this and general use.  Must be cordless and easy to use.  Favourite is Worx hydrology at £120, top of my budget.  Any comments or other suggestions ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback