We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Martin Lewis: Should I move my Help to Buy ISA into a Lifetime ISA?

Options
13»

Comments

• Kasaka
    Options
    Does anyone know whether transferring money from a h2b isa into a Lisa counts towards your annual 20,000 ISA limit? I transferred £4000 from my H2B (which was funded in previous tax years) into my Lisa this year, and the Lisa provider has said that that £4000 does count towards my ISA limit of £20k - so effectively I only have £16k left to use this tax year. How can that be correct?! I thought that transfers of existing ISAs (i.e. the money you are transferring was originally paid in in previous tax years) never counted towards the £20k allowance. Any ideas? Have searched the web and not found a solid answer.
  • Samradish
    Options
    Hello some advice please. I am 30 and I opened a HTB ISA a while ago and currently I have £19,215 in it. Our circumstances have not made us able to buy yet and now I realise we would like to buy in Watford which isn’t in the London borough if I’m correct and our house will be more than 250k so am I right in thinking I should open a LISA and transfer 4k per year into it? We aren’t buying until at least 2/3 years but even if we were to buy in 1 year we still wouldn’t be able to use the government funding in our HTB ISA so the 1k from a LISA would be beneficial if the property is under 450k?  Moneybox are offering a good deal on a LISA. Would you recommend that one? Thanks. Sam. 
  • LouiseJowett123
    Options
    My son has a HTB ISA with over £9k in at Natwest. He's opened a LISA elsewhere and knows he can trf £4k over, across 2 tax years, and then the remained. Whilst he cant pay any new funds into the LISA, can he keep payingn into the HTB - I assume the ISA allowance is still £20k per tax year ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback