MSE Poll: What do you buy second-hand?

Options

Comments

• annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't buy any second hand clothes but underwear just seems exceptionally gross.
    I do buy second hand books for myself as I read so quickly then give back to the charity shop when finished 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • hob_nob_bob
    Options
    I voted yes to everything on that list, with the exception of underwear, bedding and carpets. The vast majority of my wardrobe - including shoes - is second hand, either from boutique type vintage shops or charity shops. I've had some real bargains and love hunting for treasures!

Similarly, with the exception of my bedframe/mattress and sofa, all of my furniture is secondhand. I can buy much better quality, solid items, for an absolute steal.

I have no shame in doing this! I save a fortune on things I would be buying anyway, and I'm helping send less stuff to landfill. Win-win.
  • vitamin_joe
    Options
    I ticked every box, including underwear. I don't see the problem in wearing second hand underwear, as long as it's clean and in good condition. Obviously it gets washed before I wear it, even if it's already clean. I'm talking Armani boxer shorts, nice stuff- doubt I'd bother with Asda second-hand boxers. 

People seem to be squeamish, but I think it's cultural conditioning. Not saying it's wrong, it's just different. In Thailand it's considered highly offensive to close a door with your feet, but here it's normal. Different things are acceptable to different people.

Feel I have to stress- clean, nice, good quality 2nd-hand underwear. I have self-respect, I don't wear tat!
  • Northern_Dreamer
    Options
    There isn't a lot that I wouldn't buy second hand, in fact whenever I need something I make a point of trying to find it on ebay or Facebook marketplace first. The only thing I didn't tick was underwear, but I wouldn't really have a problem with a second hand bra if it was in good condition. Nearly all my clothes are from charity shops, the majority of our furniture is second hand (not including our mattresses). 
    I've even got some lovely 'designer' duvet covers from a charity shop which would have cost nearly £100 brand new
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    jon81uk said:
    Why on earth is underwear even an option?? 🤢🤢
    If its put through the washing machine is it any different to a t-shirt that's been in contact with sweaty armpits?
    No, that's gross.

And if you have any t-shirts that have EVER been in contact with sweaty armpits, please use them for car cleaning, even after washing. Charity does not want items of that nature. Hopefully if a charity does receive such awful things, they will just pack them up in big black bags and send them off to companies who recycle old materials. 
    A family member, who is a volunteer worker in a charity shop, tells me that at least 30% of donated clothes go straight into the 'rags for cash' bags.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've noticed bikinis and some basque type underwear in charity shops, nothing more but then I've not looked for it.
    It may well be my mind that sees second hand underwear as being a niche for "dirty old men" (and women all things being equal).
    On the other hand I use things until they are very much end of life so very little that I buy is fit for handing on, only exception would be children's clothes. 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The poll is a little misleading - they could have done with a "I don't buy in this category" option; I don't buy toys or childrens' clothes at all, but if I did I'd happily buy 2nd hand. Most of my own clothes come from the chazzer.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • vitamin_joe
    vitamin_joe Posts: 652 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    jon81uk said:
    Why on earth is underwear even an option?? 🤢🤢
    If its put through the washing machine is it any different to a t-shirt that's been in contact with sweaty armpits?
    No, that's gross.

And if you have any t-shirts that have EVER been in contact with sweaty armpits, please use them for car cleaning, even after washing. Charity does not want items of that nature. Hopefully if a charity does receive such awful things, they will just pack them up in big black bags and send them off to companies who recycle old materials. 
    A family member, who is a volunteer worker in a charity shop, tells me that at least 30% of donated clothes go straight into the 'rags for cash' bags.

That's true. You get donations with holes in, buttons missing, stains, all sorts. You can't sell them, so they get 'ragged'. Still makes money for the charity.
  • ginger_chocolate
    Options
    Theoretically I'd buy most things second-hand, I think it's generally a good thing to reduce waste. Roughly half my wardrobe is second-hand: if you're into clothes it's the best way to get unique and good quality stuff for roughly the same cost as Primark sweatshop tat. I do draw the line at underwear though, and everything gets a wash before I wear it. 
    Second-hand electronics I don't usually buy in practice any more, although I did as a skint twenty something. I feel it's generally better to buy new electronics if you can afford it as you get the guarantee, service agreements etc - but if you drop your phone down the loo and can't afford a new one, then it makes sense to go second-hand. 

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have bought some things recently from eBay auction.  Lovely pair of jeans with original labels, brand new. Cost £3.50.  My favourite though was a bottle of green Christian Louboutin nail varnish.  Cost £5, used once, CL nail varnish is £41 on their website  :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback