Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Carbohydrates of which sugars

I know we're told to view carbohydrates on nutrition labels as a whole but I've always been curious to the "of which sugars" underneath it. Can someone explain?
Example: - A cereal box per 100g has:
Carbohydrates - 42.5g
of which sugars - 10.5g
Does the mean there's 10.5g of sugar in the cereal?

Replies

• Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    People are obsessed with sugar, hence why it is seperately labeled.

Ignore it. There really is no good way of explaining food in a simple box currently. (not to mention it is very individual anyway).

• luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carbs turn to sugar and should be limited 
  • brook2jack2brook2jack2 Forumite
    336 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Yes it means there is 10.5g eg two teaspoons of sugar in 100g. One thing to be wary of is on eg cereal packets the average real life size of helping is far higher than the one quoted. 
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it means there is 10.5g eg two teaspoons of sugar in 100g. One thing to be wary of is on eg cereal packets the average real life size of helping is far higher than the one quoted. 
    That’s why I stick to my 2 weetabix.
    The muesli munchers in my family weighed the recommended portion size, it was enough to feed a rabbit!
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    it was enough to feed a rabbit!
    Only if the rabbit was on a diet. 😂

• coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's the jams that I find most misleading:  'low sugar' jams seem to have fructose syrup, corn syrup and the like instead.  Are they really any better?
  • brook2jack2brook2jack2 Forumite
    336 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It's the jams that I find most misleading:  'low sugar' jams seem to have fructose syrup, corn syrup and the like instead.  Are they really any better?
    No , anything ending in ose eg fructose, maltose, glucose is still basically sugar as is corn syrup. Honey, agave syrup, etc are no healthier than normal refined sugar. 
  • luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm on the Diabetic UK forum as I am pre diabetic and managing with diet and exercise. 
    Really good information on there 
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know we're told to view carbohydrates on nutrition labels as a whole but I've always been curious to the "of which sugars" underneath it. Can someone explain?
    Carbohydrates - 42.5g
    of which sugars - 10.5g
    It means that in each 100g of that cereal there are 10.5g of sugarS and 32g of other carbohydrates.
  • sevenhillssevenhills Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carbohydrates - 42.5g
    of which sugars - 10.5g
    It means that in each 100g of that cereal there are 10.5g of sugarS and 32g of other carbohydrates.
    But that is only the sugar within the carbs, not the added sugar content. Something like Crunchy Nut cornflakes has 12% added sugar but has 35% of sugars within the carbs.
    Not a good breakfast food for borderline diabetics, or anyone really.