NEW: Got questions about energy? Join our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here today from 12pm

can anyone explain how to use an Xbox One online?

spaceboyspaceboy Forumite
1.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
I bought a used one last week and have been buying cheap games on ebay, however I would like to know how I go about downloading games. Do I need to subscribe to something to do this? I dont want to pay a fortune but it would be nice to perhaps be able to play some games against other online players, too. I bought Forza Motorsport 7 yesterday on ebay.

Also whats the best way to install Minecraft? My kids play it - do I buy a disc or download?

Replies

• Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There are a few options here. If you just wish to download games (and pay for them) you can do that without anything extra. Just connect the Xbox to your router and you’re good to go. 

If you want to play online you need Xbox live gold. It’s around £35-£40 a year if you shop around and this also entitles you to a few free games each month. 

Another option to consider is game pass ultimate. This includes the above but you also get access to a library of games included, around 200 or so. This includes some big titles too. If you aren’t picky about what you play you could easily sign up to this and never buy a game again. The standard price for this is around £20 a month I believe. However they often do deals that allow you to try it out for £1. However you can convert existing Xbox live gold time into game pass ultimate this way so if you plan it well it’s possible to get 3 years of game pass ultimate for about £120, which is a bargain.

Theres a lot of options but I hope that gives you an idea!
  • jwd2017jwd2017 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    I would second Gavin's suggestion of Game Pass Ultimate but it's £10.99 a month, not £20.

Lots of games available if you get that including Forza and Minecraft which you mentioned. You pay the subscription and you'll be able to download them from the Microsoft store on your console and play online against other players.
  • adoptionadoption Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    jwd2017 said:
    I would second Gavin's suggestion of Game Pass Ultimate but it's £10.99 a month, not £20.

Lots of games available if you get that including Forza and Minecraft which you mentioned. You pay the subscription and you'll be able to download them from the Microsoft store on your console and play online against other players.

Really good suggestion, thank you