gambling and bankruptcy

Options
I have £60k in debt, which £15k of that is gambling in High street bookies last summer as I my business and been struggling to Covid.  I am not proud of this. If I include this in my bankruptcy will I get into trouble as I don't want a prison sentence or a criminal record as I can see the official receiver may see as fraud. 

Comments

• A_Lert
    A_Lert Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless you took out loans fraudulently, you've not committed any crime. With only a quarter of your debt attributable to gambling it's unlikely to affect your bankruptcy at all, but you will need to declare it specifically in your application anyway.

• Hammers01
    Options
    thanks as my worry was that it was a lot of cash in amounts in the space of say 3 months.
  • Flyright
    Flyright Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It might lead to a BRO if you incurred additional credit when you were already insolvent.
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,292 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Flyright said:
    It might lead to a BRO if you incurred additional credit when you were already insolvent.
    But it has to be material to the overall debt.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I once talked to an Official Receiver at a training session and he was surprisingly laid back about gambling debt. His attitude was 'as long as they've kept the receipts...' It was a long time ago.

I think you should be open and up front about what happened when. If you can evidence the debt, and if you can show you have taken steps, to address your problem, you should be OK.

In the worst case scenario, a BRO of 2-3 years is not a major issue anyway
  • P1BP27
    P1BP27 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't evidence the debt thats the problem as it was done in high Street bookies.... When you taken steps..to addresss the problem ya mean going to GA meetings and getting written proof ya been? 
  • Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £15k out of a £60 debt would be material. I assume you had a good chunk of the debt when you incurred additional credit so, as above, you are looking at a BRO. I would imagine 3.5 years for that amount. 

Did you declare your true income on the credit / loan applications?
  • P1BP27
    Options
    I had already had 25 debt which was not gambling which was setting up new business which I can show Proof for. The gambling debt was then added onto that
  • Morfx
    Morfx Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    P1BP27 said:
    I had already had 25 debt which was not gambling which was setting up new business which I can show Proof for. The gambling debt was then added onto that
    With a 25k debt and another 15k additional gambling debt, you will get a BRO, I'd imagine from 3-4 years.. similar to my position.
  • P1BP27
    Options
    When you mean 3 to 4 years does this mean I will still be discharged after 12 months? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback