Advice for partner required please

Hi all. In a nutshell my partners ex is playing the system so to speak and would really appreciate if anyone could possibly advise on next steps. Some context: My partner had a private arrangement with her ex where he would pay her directly. He then decided to pay when he wanted to which often went on for many months with huge arrears accruing. In order to get some form of payment my partner then opened a case with the CMS. Unsurprisingly he changed tact after receiving correspondence from the CMS and stated that he would now pay regularly on a private basis. The case with the CMS was still left open however. This worked well for about a year until a few months ago. After threatening my ex on many occasions to close the case (which she refused knowing that he would stop paying if the live case was closed) he has deliberately quit work, sold his house and gone to live in a caravan- living off any savings and the house sale money. And of course is now point blank refusing to pay any maintenance whatsoever. What I have detailed above is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the lengths that this man will go to not to provide any support for his son. Is there anything that can be done about this at all please? Or is he simply playing the system knowing that by doing what he has done means he cannot be touched? Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    DDWales said:
     The case with the CMS was still left open however.

Go back to these ^^
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    There is a criminal offence of wilful neglect to support a child, something both the CSA and CMS have used too infrequently in such circumstances IMHO.
  • DDWales
    DDWales Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi both. Thank you for your responses. CMS have tried to fob my partner off by essentially stating that as her ex is not working / claiming benefits there is nothing that they can do. Surely there must be some sort of redress?
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DDWales said:
    Hi both. Thank you for your responses. CMS have tried to fob my partner off by essentially stating that as her ex is not working / claiming benefits there is nothing that they can do. Surely there must be some sort of redress?
    Unfortunately not if he has no income. 
    How much does he have in savings? It may be possible to apply for a variation based on presumed interest they generate.

presumably he will only be able to fund this lifestyle for a limited time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback