Store card

Options
I have a staff store card for a company that has been sold on and essentially no longer exsists. Do I need to continue to pay off the balance on this card? 

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I would say yes because the debt still exists, even though the company has been sold on. If you were a member of staff, you will know the name of the issuing lender. I'd guess that it's a company like NewDay - an umbrella group who issues cards on behalf of several companies, including amazon. The honest thing to do would be to phone the card company to confirm. 

It may be tempting to just forget about the debt but it'll probably catch up with you, sooner or later because it's owed to the credit card company, not the store.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is the account currently listed on your credit files? 
    When you got the card did you sign any terms and conditions? Or did they email you any kind of contract?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback