Beware extra charges on online orders (as they may be arriving from the EU) - MSE Guide

Options

Comments

• AcerBen
    AcerBen Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 February 2021 at 11:37PM
    Options
    The article says "Consignment value of order costs £135 or less? You shouldn't face ANY extra fees"
    But if you've bought via an online marketplace such as eBay, they've already added on 20% VAT.  You've paid an extra 20% at the point of sale, so it has cost you more.  I think you could make this clearer.

If you're buying from a foreign company, I guess in theory they are supposed to deduct the local tax and only charge UK VAT, but surely a lot of companies aren't yet doing this?  I

Also, I don't understand how UK Customs are supposed to know whether UK VAT has been paid just by looking at the parcel?  I doubt they're just going to assume it has been if it says it's under £135. 
  • ink1402
    Options
    just want to add for anyone who wants to send a parcel to the EU and purely for info, I sent my daughter, currently living in Barcelona, a small package of a laptop holder, a new mouse and keyboard, spent less than £60 for the whole thing, booked ups, to deliver to Spain, 4 weeks plus 3 days on, the parcel is still in Barcelona, ups can't tell me whats happening, between us both, we have sent 3 x copies of the commercial invoice, I twitter them nearly every day...and she was also asked to send  a letter ? to the Spanish office, no where nearer to getting this resolved.  Be warned.  I mean £60....
  • Slifla78
    Options
    I bought something from Amazon and it arrived damaged. When it came to returning Amazon told me, as it had come from the EU, it was my responsibility to arrange return. It could not get through customs and caused all sorts of problems. To be fair on Amazon when I complaint they refunded me anyway. They told me to keep an eye out for Sold by Amazon EU and that will tell me if the items was coming from the EU. I bought something a couple of days again (having confirmed there was no "EU" marker) and I find out it is coming from Germany. Had I have known that I would have pay a few quid more and bought it elsewhere. I am going to ask Amazon how to tell if an item is coming from the UK or the EU. Has anyone any ideas about what to look out for?
  • ItsComingRome
    Options
    Slifla78 said:
    I bought something from Amazon and it arrived damaged. When it came to returning Amazon told me, as it had come from the EU, it was my responsibility to arrange return. It could not get through customs and caused all sorts of problems. To be fair on Amazon when I complaint they refunded me anyway. They told me to keep an eye out for Sold by Amazon EU and that will tell me if the items was coming from the EU. I bought something a couple of days again (having confirmed there was no "EU" marker) and I find out it is coming from Germany. Had I have known that I would have pay a few quid more and bought it elsewhere. I am going to ask Amazon how to tell if an item is coming from the UK or the EU. Has anyone any ideas about what to look out for?
    You need to click on the name of the seller and see their "Detailed Seller Information" although it could still be shipped in from elsewhere even if they're in the UK (or claim to be.)
  • Mithr
    Mithr Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I am attempting to order something from the EU and still cannot seem to make sense of the exact tax situation, hoping someone can help me here!

I understand that "import VAT" is now necessary on items being shipped in over £135, but is that *on top* of the standard VAT a company may charge for purchase within their country? Or should one be replacing the other? We're looking to buy something from a French website, which claims to ship globally but adds tax by default at checkout, and I suspect we're going to be charged on tax again at import. Is that what is expected/correct?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback