Forum Home» Employment, Jobseeking & Training

my work hasn't paid me for my holiday for a year...my team leader is looking into it but ..

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

my work hasn't paid me for my holiday for a year...my team leader is looking into it but ..

6 replies 300 views
lifeatthekingslifeatthekings Forumite
126 posts
100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
what should I do If things go sour and they refuse to pay me or only pay me some?

I joined the company in December 2019 and have been there since. My previous team leader had allowed me to take holiday in 2020 . I thought Everything was okay though thought it was a little strange that holiday wasn't being shown on my payslip. Since I was new , I asked another team member (I don't recall who it was) who said it just gets put onto pay and only absence is wrote down separately. 

Well in January 2021 I noticed that my December 2020 holiday didn't seem to be added to my wages. I asked another team member who said it should get written down separately so you can see the amount from holidays...mine didn't have this. 

I spoke to my current Team leader and they said that it looks like holiday wasn't added to most if not any of my wages for the last year and will look into it for me. 

I'm just worried that I have picked up on it too late and that the company would refuse to do anything or pay me some of it as they may see it as too late.

so far I've had no trouble regarding this issue and my team leader is actively looking into it but part of me feels anxious. 

any advice is appreciated 

New home fund: £1122.43 / £5,000 | Jan grocery challenge £77.00 / £250 (£173 left) | Xmas'21 £1 / £365

Replies

• Penguin_Penguin_ Forumite
    495 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Are you salaried or are you paid hourly?
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    10.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall ever having Holiday Pay shown as a separate item on my payslips.  Has your pay been less for days/weeks when you have taken holiday?  I'm aware that some in the building industry have different systems, are you in that sector?
  • lifeatthekingslifeatthekings Forumite
    126 posts
    TELLIT01 said:
    I don't recall ever having Holiday Pay shown as a separate item on my payslips.  Has your pay been less for days/weeks when you have taken holiday?  I'm aware that some in the building industry have different systems, are you in that sector?
    Well, I thought this was the case but the other person I spoke to said their payslip gets written down separately and when I asked my team leader, they said the same thing . I've not noticed the difference to be honest as 
    1) I was constantly ill so expected my pay to take a hit because of this
    2) I never really noticed as I thought it didn't get separated 
    3) my previous team leader always made mistakes with my pay
    4) company is known to have tons of issues with paying their employees 

it was only when I asked about the month just gone thats when my Team leader pointed 

I work in telecommunications,  I'm a call center agent  
    New home fund: £1122.43 / £5,000 | Jan grocery challenge £77.00 / £250 (£173 left) | Xmas'21 £1 / £365
    126 posts
    Penguin_ said:
    Are you salaried or are you paid hourly?
    Hey there.
    I'm paid hourly 
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Check your wage slips and bank - were you actually paid in the weeks you had holiday? If so, was the pay less than you expected? 
    It sounds as though your manager is looking into it but it is possible that they simply paid you but mislabeled it.

they didn't pay you, then it will help them fix it if you can provide them with copies of the relevant pay slips and details of which days you were off and should have got holiday pay for. 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
    126 posts
    TBagpuss said:
    Check your wage slips and bank - were you actually paid in the weeks you had holiday? If so, was the pay less than you expected? 
    It sounds as though your manager is looking into it but it is possible that they simply paid you but mislabeled it.

they didn't pay you, then it will help them fix it if you can provide them with copies of the relevant pay slips and details of which days you were off and should have got holiday pay for. 
    thank you , I gave my team leader the dates of my holidays and I'm currently going back through to see if it's less than expected etc