Forum Home» Employment, Jobseeking & Training

Employment - changing Ts & Cs & replacing me

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Employment - changing Ts & Cs & replacing me

2 replies 164 views
I have had to go through a consultation period (started in November lockdown) to change my Ts & Cs so I am no longer working for one of my two line managers. I am/ was a secretary to two members (A and B) of the senior management team (now for one - B). This was because A said he needed a data analyst who can work through the year & not just school term time (as per my contract). I felt forced to accept as was told otherwise it would be dismissal & re-engagement. I was never asked beforehand if I would be willing to work through school holidays or if I would get training in data analysis. I was told I could apply but that I didn’t have the data element of the job requirements so wouldn’t necessarily be interviewed. 
It turns out they have not advertised A’s new PA role, but rather piggy backed off another PA position advertised last October  for another member of the SLT. They are sharing a PA now (started in last couple of weeks). These interviews took place before my consultation meetings & A did interview these candidates. A also tried to cover this up from me (his diary was changed to show it was a normal meeting not interviews). This PA position did not ask for data skills in the JD. 
I was told the change had nothing to do with my work standards/ capabilities. 
I feel like I’ve been ‘had’. 
I’m currently furloughed and the new PA has started. 
Is this all above board? So I just need to accept it and move on?! 
Thanks for the advice. 

Replies

• DiamandisDiamandis Forumite
    631 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    What is it they're changing exactly?  Your salary? The hours you work?
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    bingle said:
    I have had to go through a consultation period (started in November lockdown) to change my Ts & Cs so I am no longer working for one of my two line managers. I am/ was a secretary to two members (A and B) of the senior management team (now for one - B). This was because A said he needed a data analyst who can work through the year & not just school term time (as per my contract). I felt forced to accept as was told otherwise it would be dismissal & re-engagement. I was never asked beforehand if I would be willing to work through school holidays or if I would get training in data analysis. I was told I could apply but that I didn’t have the data element of the job requirements so wouldn’t necessarily be interviewed. 
    It turns out they have not advertised A’s new PA role, but rather piggy backed off another PA position advertised last October  for another member of the SLT. They are sharing a PA now (started in last couple of weeks). These interviews took place before my consultation meetings & A did interview these candidates. A also tried to cover this up from me (his diary was changed to show it was a normal meeting not interviews). This PA position did not ask for data skills in the JD. 
    I was told the change had nothing to do with my work standards/ capabilities. 
    I feel like I’ve been ‘had’. 
    I’m currently furloughed and the new PA has started. 
    Is this all above board? So I just need to accept it and move on?! 
    Thanks for the advice. 
    Diamandis said:
    What is it they're changing exactly?  Your salary? The hours you work?
    Only change to the OP's JD seems to be that they are working to one member of the SLT rather than two.
    @bingle - did you express any interest in the additional work for A or just accept you would be unlikely to be interviewed and left it like that.  
    If A interviewed the new PA that's not unreasonable and, just because the data analysis aspect may not have been mentioned in that JD doesn't mean that those skills weren't demonstrated by the candidate's CV and may have sparked the thought of how useful this would be.