New Post Advanced Search

Jet/water flosser

7 replies 239 views
JohnB47JohnB47 Forumite
1.9K posts
Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭
Hi. Anyone use one of these. I'm thinking of buying one and the choice is enormous. Any recommendations?

Replies

• sstevo19sstevo19 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    I have one, it's good. I bought a Fairywill one off Amazon. I don't use it as a replacement for flossing/Interdental cleaning, I only use it to keep my wisdom teeth clean 😅
  • edited 15 February at 10:27AM
    ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 February at 10:27AM
    They are better than nothing if you lack the manual dexterity to use little interdental brushes, or any of the other more 'analogue' aids recommended by your dentist or hygienist. These things are the best way to clean between your teeth. So they're great for the disabled or terminally ham fisted :D 

if you are someone more likely to 'play' with a gadget rather than faff about doing things properly and spending a bit of time, then again, it's probably better than not doing anything, but if you've been told you need to up your game due to gum disease setting in, then one of these machines is a lot less likey to turn things around that using proper interdental brushes and taking your time over the job. 
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • JohnB47JohnB47 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks. I'm definitely going to go for one of these. Just wondering if there are certain makes to avoid. I'm thinking of one of the Waterpik ones. The water reservoir seems a bit small but then they're not as bulky as some.
  • uknickuknick Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    JohnB47 said:
    Thanks folks. I'm definitely going to go for one of these. Just wondering if there are certain makes to avoid. I'm thinking of one of the Waterpik ones. The water reservoir seems a bit small but then they're not as bulky as some.
    My partner uses a Waterpik and has for many years.  She's particularly pernickety about everything she uses, so if its good enough for her, it must be pretty good.  She did have some reliability issues (leaks in the tubing I think) a few years ago when she started using them but the units were always replaced under warranty with no quibble.

And, in answer to the ham fisted comment above, she also uses manual interdental brushes, interspace brushes and normal brushes after most, if not all, meals.  In case you're wondering, she has a plaque build up problem due to an incorrectly fitted brace many years ago which means she's a mouth breather most of the time. 
  • edited 16 February at 5:59PM
    coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 February at 5:59PM
    I have an old Kitty Hydrofloss which is still working well, though very expensive to buy new, it would seem
  • surfsister10surfsister10 Forumite
    32 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    We got ours from amazon abut £20 works fine and removes loads of yukky stuff. works well.
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My dentist recommended I buy one as the new crowns have such tiny gaps between that interdental brushes won't work. (Flossing will but arthritis doesn't help with that!)
    He said use it after any eating!
     I bought a Fairywill one off Amazon at about £25. It also needed a USB cable which I had not realised. Seems to work fine (but I get a free shower!!)- I'm still getting used to it.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks