Council Tax Band

Watching the Martin Lewis show a few weeks ago prompted me to check my banding and neighbouring bands and has left me with a question/query which I'm hoping people here can advice on.
So all the houses in my street are in band E except for 1 solitary house which is in band D, checking the details it seems that the owner had the band changed back in 1993. I purchased my house back in 1996 for exactly £88k which according to the banding puts it in band D by £1, my house does have an improvement marker against it, presumably as a result of building an extension.
So you can see where I'm going with this, could the purchase price be used as a valid reason why the current band is wrong or is it simply not worth the hassle?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    In many areas 1996 house prices were still lower than 1991 prices, so your purchase price may well indicate your CT band is in fact correct. However it would be worth asking the VOA why the Band D house's band was reduced.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Council tax Tribunal Tomorrow!
    Hi all, 
    Just looking for some advice, we have our Council Tax Tribunal tomorrow.  We have new build property (4 bed semi, no garage), row of 4 on a street that's been around since the 60's (mostly Terrace & Semi's all band C/D including a detached 4 bed, Band E).  The valuation office have gone 10 minutes away to prove their Band G point against a 1930's semi detached chalet as apposed to the exact same property spec on a pair of new builds on the road behind us, Band F. They have also given the property an extra 23 square meters and state the Estate Agent info on purchase was incorrect.
    We have spoken with local estate agents and have been given some information, but just looking for some advice, have any of you attended a tribunal, was you successful?  Any hints & tips that would assist our case?
    Thank you! 
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Above is duplicate post
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback