Bank account for side-hustle

aimeemum
aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
edited 10 February 2021 at 8:03AM in Boost your income
Hi All, I need a bit of help with my finances for my new little side-hustle business. 

I'm setting up selling my writing work (educational resources and printables, and also fiction and non-fiction books) starting on Etsy with the goal of setting up my own shop/website and hopefully eventually getting some work properly published. I've set myself up with a Paypal account to start with but I will need to get a 'proper' bank account to make doing my books a bit easier (i.e. keeping it separate from my family budget/finances). 

I've done a little bit of research but I'm overwhelmed. Can anyone give me some advice about which ones are good, not too expensive? I'm not expecting to make a massive amount of money so seeing 'per transaction' fees etc is scary. Also keen to have good customer service as I am not the most confident especially when dealing with on-line things. 

Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks from a novice :)

Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
Current Progress -
Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
Savings 31/8/22 - £0
plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%

Comments

• chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would be inclined not to bother with a business account at this point.  Wait and see if the ammount of work warrents the extra expense.  All you need to do at the moment is keep a record of income and expenditure; and if income is under £1000 for the year you probably do not even have to tell HMRC.  See here....
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income
  • Can't help, but the phrase 'side hustle' has to be one of the most irritating phrases used over the course of the past year. 
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Can't help, but the phrase 'side hustle' has to be one of the most irritating phrases used over the course of the past year. 
    I'm inclined to agree, but it's one people know the meaning of hence my use of it. 
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • aimeemum said:
    Hi All, I need a bit of help with my finances for my new little side-hustle business. 

I'm setting up selling my writing work (educational resources and printables, and also fiction and non-fiction books) starting on Etsy with the goal of setting up my own shop/website and hopefully eventually getting some work properly published. I've set myself up with a Paypal account to start with but I will need to get a 'proper' bank account to make doing my books a bit easier (i.e. keeping it separate from my family budget/finances). 

I've done a little bit of research but I'm overwhelmed. Can anyone give me some advice about which ones are good, not too expensive? I'm not expecting to make a massive amount of money so seeing 'per transaction' fees etc is scary. Also keen to have good customer service as I am not the most confident especially when dealing with on-line things. 

Starling Bank offer a free business account for sole traders. You just need to open a personal current account with them first and then you can open the business account. I use this to separate my self-employed finances and it has been excellent.
    Make £2021 in 2021 #25: £4,228.69 / £2,021
    Save £12k in 2021 #92: £12,750 / £12,000
    Save £12k in 2022 #TBC £6,000 / £12,000
  • chrisbur said:
    I would be inclined not to bother with a business account at this point.  Wait and see if the ammount of work warrents the extra expense.  All you need to do at the moment is keep a record of income and expenditure; and if income is under £1000 for the year you probably do not even have to tell HMRC.  
    I'd agree with this. If you've got a steady stream of transactions and enough content to keep it going, then maybe it's time to open a business account, but I'd wait until you get there first. Otherwise, it's just another account with the affiliated charges and fees that go along with it. 
  • If you have one of the of the online banks like Monzo, it's realistic to set up an extra 'pot' where you can store the money just from your 'side hustle' to keep track of it. 
  • DebsFran
    DebsFran Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    aimeemum said:

Starling Bank offer a free business account for sole traders. You just need to open a personal current account with them first and then you can open the business account. I use this to separate my self-employed finances and it has been excellent.
    Thanks for this - very useful information
  • Selinda
    Selinda Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I feel like I belong to the Tide bank cheerleading squad :-) - it's the one I have and its fantastic compared to my other high street accounts.

Great bank account and if you ever decide to going LTD - they offer free company formation although you can register as a sole trader.
    They also offer £50 FREE if you join (and deposit £50) and enter referral code: FREE50.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback