Haier - good enough brand to drop £900 on a washer dryer?

Options
We're going to need a washer dryer in the new house we're moving into due to space, and will need a larger capacity one (8kg+ dryer).
The only one I've found that fits is the Haier HWD120-B14979: https://ao.com/product/hwd120b14979-haier-washer-dryer-white-76609-2.aspx
But I've never heard of them before and £900 is a lot of money for a washing machine. Is Haier a good brand that'll last 10 years?

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 31 January 2021 at 4:13PM
    Options
    John Lewis have several 8kg+ washer dryers, by better known names, for similar prices.

EDIT: Just had a look at your link, and the Haier is 12Kg wash, 8kg dry.  That's a whopper! Do you really need a machine that big?
  • parkingadvice1212
    Options
    John Lewis have several 8kg+ washer dryers, by better known names, for similar prices.

EDIT: Just had a look at your link, and the Haier is 12Kg wash, 8kg dry.  That's a whopper! Do you really need a machine that big?
    Yep, current house has brand new 7kg washing machine and 8kg dryer (separate units) and we often pack too many clothes into the washing machine, then have to dry stuff in two loads or it doesn't dry. So I'm thinking 12kg + 8kg is minimum.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 31 January 2021 at 8:45PM
    Options

Yep, current house has brand new 7kg washing machine and 8kg dryer (separate units) and we often pack too many clothes into the washing machine, then have to dry stuff in two loads or it doesn't dry. So I'm thinking 12kg + 8kg is minimum.
    But if you load 12kg of dry washing, you'll have to take at least half out before the tumble dry process, so still 2 dryer loads.  

I've had a quick look, and LG for one do 10.5 kg washer/ 7kg dryers.  To be honest, I'd go for a make I'd actually heard of, from a reputable store, and just do a couple more washes per week.

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buy washer and tumble dryer and a stacking kit.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Debran
    Debran Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Haier washer drier you are interested in was tested by Which last September and scored 65 per cent.  Rather slow at drying.  Expected life of machine not stated - presume unknown.  On sale at Appliance City for £792 delivered according to report.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you haven't heard of Haier then opt for a brand you have heard of.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 February 2021 at 2:46AM
    Options
    I came across this thread while browsing the forum and saw 12kg load washing m/c.

I've just come back from our "home gym" where I've checked what a 10kg weight plate feels like to pick up.

Who does a 12kg load of washing?  I don't think I could fit that much clothing into our car, let alone a washing m/c.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I came across this thread while browsing the forum and saw 12kg load washing m/c.

I've just come back from our "home gym" where I've checked what a 10kg weight plate feels like to pick up.

Who does a 12kg load of washing?  I don't think I could fit that much clothing into our car, let alone a washing m/c.
    The drying load is the benefit.  Unlikely to wash 12kg of clothes, but up to 8kg no need to remove clothes before drying as would be the case if you washed 8kg in an 8kg washing capacity machine.
  • parkingadvice1212
    Options
    In the end I bought a Miele 8kg washing machine and will be buying a Haier 9kg heat pump tumble dryer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback