Breaking away from DMP

Options
Hello all! Might be a bit of a trivial one but here we go. I have been plodding along with my DMP with stepchange for a couple of years now and have narrowed 6 creditors down to 2 (although both are now PRA group).

A family member has offered to settle the debts for me, then I pay them back when I can, so that i can clean up my credit score and hopefully in the future get a mortgage. 

With the money that they potentially give me, am I better off giving it straight to Stepchange and letting them settle the accounts? Or just contact PRA group directly and settle with them? Both debts are enforceable and I hold my hands up to the amount I owe. It just seems a little silly to go through a middle man. 

Is there a best way to settle the accounts? As I'm sure I've seen clauses from Stepchange about not contacting creditors directly, so I am a little thrown 😅

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Best way is to do it yourself and try to do full & final settlements. Do it in  writing. Letter here
    PRA can be a little awkward but that is the same whether it is you or stepchange.
    You can genuinely say 'a third party has offered to make this payment'
  • StandSure
    Options
    fatbelly said:
    Best way is to do it yourself and try to do full & final settlements. Do it in  writing. Letter here
    PRA can be a little awkward but that is the same whether it is you or stepchange.
    You can genuinely say 'a third party has offered to make this payment'
    Thanks fatbelly!
    With an F&F, are they likely to always mark it as Partially Settled?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Partially settled is the correct way to mark a debt that has not been paid in full, yes.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback