New to Comping

Options
Martini2908
Martini2908 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 26 January 2021 at 1:03PM in Compers chat corner
Good Morning,
I have only just started doing competitions etc - do any of youi have any tips about the best way to reach as many competitiions as possible and what is the easiest way to find out about the comps?
Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 966 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi - we've moved this from Regular Competitions to Compers Chat Corner
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • MintyB
    MintyB Posts: 1,866 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lots of competitions are posted daily on here. Then there are comps on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.
    You could also look in local newspapers or supermarket magazines ( I won a Kindle once in a Tesco mag.).
    When shopping, look out for comps on tins, cereal boxes etc.
    Good luck with the comping! :)
  • puzzlecat
    Options
    The free magazines in supermarkets :)
  • Ms_Dee
    Ms_Dee Posts: 7,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome to the world of comping @Martini2908
    To enter the most competitions it's best to have all social media accounts - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram etc.
    I'd also recommend when you see a Rafflecopter or Gleam to enter them too (I win mostly from these!)
    Also join all of the magazine websites in the mag daily section and the Love it magazine site.
    For less spam calls, make sure you check if a phone number is required, often the box will be there but it isn't required, so don't fill it out if they don't require it! Make sure you check the tick boxes, some are after the submit button so scroll further down.
    I enter competitions on a couple of sites as there isn't as many listed here as there once was, BUT make sure you don't enter twice and duplicate yourself, if one entry is required. (with Gleams and Rafflecopters, you can tell if you've already entered before, most social media you can tell too, but free forms aren't so obvious)
    Only spend time on competitions you want to win.
    If you find a low entry competition, you've got a higher chance of winning, but please do feel free to share it on here.
    If you find yourself not enjoying it anymore, take a break and come back, no need to do it if it feels a chore.
    Enjoy and Good Luck!

Feel free to join the Compers challenge 2021!! if you haven't already, it can help with enjoyment if you can cross something off on the challenge list and we are a good bunch.  <3
    Thank you to everyone who posts competitions and good luck to everyone who enters.
  • charfrancis
    Options
    Set up a comping email address for competitions only, as lots of marketing emails/subscriptions can fill your inbox quickly.
  • Erse
    Erse Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ms_Dee said:
    "BUT make sure you don't enter twice and duplicate yourself, if one entry is required."

Hi, stumbled across this post. I am very much a novice myself who dips in and out of comping and have always wondered around what happens in the scenario you state above.

For example, say I was to enter a competition where only 1 entry is allowed. Let's say I was to forget I entered this and resubmitted my details at another time. What would happen? Would I be disqualified from the competition for 'trying to enter more than once' or would the software be smart enough just to disregard duplicate entries and give me my one entry?

As a follow up to this, I have noticed that a lot of the competitions I enter are on what you called free forms (which I am guessing just means on the company website). How do you keep track of what you have entered before? I know there is the function on here to mark a competition as 'entered' on a post, but even doing that doesn't mark duplicate posts to the same comp meaning you could easily forget and enter again as it may be 'unticked'. 

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Erse said:
    Ms_Dee said:
    "BUT make sure you don't enter twice and duplicate yourself, if one entry is required."

Hi, stumbled across this post. I am very much a novice myself who dips in and out of comping and have always wondered around what happens in the scenario you state above.

For example, say I was to enter a competition where only 1 entry is allowed. Let's say I was to forget I entered this and resubmitted my details at another time. What would happen? Would I be disqualified from the competition for 'trying to enter more than once' or would the software be smart enough just to disregard duplicate entries and give me my one entry?

As a follow up to this, I have noticed that a lot of the competitions I enter are on what you called free forms (which I am guessing just means on the company website). How do you keep track of what you have entered before? I know there is the function on here to mark a competition as 'entered' on a post, but even doing that doesn't mark duplicate posts to the same comp meaning you could easily forget and enter again as it may be 'unticked'. 

Depends on the competition T&Cs, they may just disregard any extra entries or disqualify the lot.
    There are not many duplicates on here and most of them are fairly quickly spotted and merged so there are unlikely to be many you would enter twice by accident.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback