Help

I literally don’t know where to start to help myself and I’m in a complete spin. Coming here for advice is a start. 
Any advice is welcome. 
Have several 0% credit cards and am now struggling to pay them off each month. Not defaulted yet but am getting in to deeper debt. 
I considered consolidating my debts by remortgaging but I think that’s crazy in the long term. 
I’m worried I’ll lose my home and can’t downsize because it’s a flat. 
I’ve been reading MSE’s website but any additional help would be really appreciated. Sorry, not very specific. Just a cry for help. 

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    First of all do  not consolidate by remortgaging.  There are various ways of sorting out debt but consolidation rarely works and certainly you should not risk your home by putting unsecured debt on a mortgage. 

I would start by doing a soa (there is a link on the DFW sticky) 
    Has the debt occurred through overspending or lack of income? 
    Are all the debts at 0%? 

The priority is to see whether you can actually afford to repay the debts at the current rate and if not you may need to consider a DMP or similar. The clue is if you are still using credit to live and you have cut everything to the bone then you will probably need to go onto a DMP or consider an IVA.  Only by you doing an soa though can we see which is best.  Have you contacted stepchange or payplan or one of the other free debt charities? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,838 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 January 2021 at 8:11PM
    You won’t lose your home, credit card debts are unsecured borrowing.

An SOA is the first step, if you are struggling, then consider stopping payment.

There are various stages to debt collection, and it can take many months or even years, so nothing will happen quickly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Yes, as above - this is called non-priority debt.
    The link is here. Format the soa for mse and post it on this thread

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport