Civil Service Interview Preparation

I have a first interview booked for a surveyor role at the civil service and I am looking for some interview tips? I currently work in the private sector in a slightly different job role so I want to ensure that I am what they are looking for! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks 

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Would this be with the VOA?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    You can ask them towards the end if there are any areas where you haven't yet talked about your relevant experience or even if there are any areas where they are concerned that you don't have enough experience/knowledge.
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • avawat20
    avawat20 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    STAR / CAR method for giving an example. Provide some theory and back it up with an example. Get any examples of taking learning from things and even better if you can then demonstrate how you applied that learning to another situation. 

Look at their competencies and try to use some of the language but don't shoe horn it in - it's so obvious.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 22 January 2021 at 2:24AM
    Do you know if it is a strengths based interview?

Competencies are old hat,  these days it's "sucess profiles" 
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles
  • Emmia
    edited 22 January 2021 at 2:37AM
    kimwp said:
    You can ask them towards the end if there are any areas where you haven't yet talked about your relevant experience or even if there are any areas where they are concerned that you don't have enough experience/knowledge.
    As a Civil Servant who does a fair bit of interviewing - one of things we don't do is this type of follow up questioning.

It is unfair on other candidates (everyone is asked the same questions) and as the interviews themselves tend to have a specific timeslot, there is a risk of candidates giving you war and peace of waffle if you were to ask this. Basically, we ask questions, you answer them with (hopefully) relevant information, and we move onto the next question. 

We are also discouraged from correcting / clarifying questions or follow ups, even where the candidate has gone wildly off piste, as we have to ask everyone the same thing.
  • avawat20
    Emmia said:
    kimwp said:
    As a Civil Servant who does a fair bit of interviewing - one of things we don't do is this type of follow up questioning.

It is unfair on other candidates (everyone is asked the same questions) and as the interviews themselves tend to have a specific timeslot, there is a risk of candidates giving you war and peace of waffle if you were to ask this. Basically, we ask questions, you answer them with (hopefully) relevant information, and we move onto the next question. 

We are also discouraged from correcting / clarifying questions or follow ups, even where the candidate has gone wildly off piste, as we have to ask everyone the same thing.

That's sad but as a previous recruiter in a couple of Civil Service departments that was definitely not our approach. It's about getting the best from the candidate.
    Yes best practice is to ask the candidates the same interview questions including planned follow up questions - but the probing questions need to be based on the individual's answers so may differ and that's fine. Also if they are CV interviewing it will be based on the indivdual's CV.
    I always ask at the end of my interviews if I've answered the question - fine if they tell you and probe then great, if they're going to be old and stuffy about "we can't ask different questions" then fine but is that a forward-thinking, open-minded organisation that you want to work for?
  • Emmia
    edited 23 January 2021 at 1:20PM
    avawat20 said:
    Emmia said:
    kimwp said:

That's sad but as a previous recruiter in a couple of Civil Service departments that was definitely not our approach. It's about getting the best from the candidate.
    Yes best practice is to ask the candidates the same interview questions including planned follow up questions - but the probing questions need to be based on the individual's answers so may differ and that's fine. Also if they are CV interviewing it will be based on the indivdual's CV.
    I always ask at the end of my interviews if I've answered the question - fine if they tell you and probe then great, if they're going to be old and stuffy about "we can't ask different questions" then fine but is that a forward-thinking, open-minded organisation that you want to work for?
    I think there is a fine line between ensuring the candidate gives you all the evidence of their capability, and coaching the right answer out of them by asking more and more follow up questions. 

Sometimes there will be a point of detail to clarify and I do this, - but I've been in interviews where the person has clearly not listened to the question or understood what a follow up question was driving at - in these situations you can't help someone, as it's not fair on other candidates.

It can also be hugely frustrating, especially if I know the candidate, and I also know they are capable of doing the job - but the truth is, the interview has to be passed, and passed in a way that is fair to all those who have gone through the process.
  • avawat20
    Emmia said:
    avawat20 said:
    Emmia said:
    kimwp said:

I think there is a fine line between ensuring the candidate gives you all the evidence of their capability, and coaching the right answer out of them by asking more and more follow up questions. 

Sometimes there will be a point of detail to clarify and I do this, - but I've been in interviews where the person has clearly not listened to the question or understood what a follow up question was driving at - in these situations you can't help someone, as it's not fair on other candidates.

It can also be hugely frustrating, especially if I know the candidate, and I also know they are capable of doing the job - but the truth is, the interview has to be passed, and passed in a way that is fair to all those who have gone through the process.
    Oh god yes, completely agree - there's only so many follow up questions you can ask someone who just doesn't get the question!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback