New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Working away from Home

8 replies 385 views
ShellLou83ShellLou83 Forumite
1 posts
Third Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie
My husband is a construction worker and is travelling to Scotland every week. They have put him in a hotel with no facility to cook any food. He is having to eat takeaways every night due to restaurants and pubs being shut and its affecting his health both physically and mentally. My question is should he have to work away if there is not sufficient places to eat other than takeaways. I know some people might say well at least hes got food! But I am worried about him and just need some advice please? Thanks

Replies

• KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is he not able to access supermarkets to get food? I appreciate it might not be hot food but he could make sandwiches, salads, pasta pots, and would certainly be preferable to his 'physical and mental health' being affected by the takeaways.

Or could he buy a small microwave and take that with him when he travels up? A travel kettle to make pot noodles?
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pubs and restaurants would be serving the same kind of thing as takeaways (and indeed many are now doing takeaway, or at least down here they are).

He could take a mini-microwave or a single hob plug in induction plate etc if he really wants to be able to cook himself. Is he going back to the same hotel each time? If they are then the hotel may be willing to hold them over the weekends to avoid taking it backwards and forwards. 
    MSE Forum staff are too giddy on their unlimited power on this forum for me and their unwillingness to engage just twists the knife. Seems ownership by Money Supermarket unfortunately hasn't improved the situation since when I left previously.

For those that helped me... thanks
    I hope those that I replied to found my answers helpful.
    Obviously this too will be removed before long
  • RaggieRaggie Forumite
    581 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    This may sound harsh,  but I don't mean it too.
    He needs to take some responsibility here.

Having worked away from home for many years it takes a lot of discipline to eat/stay healthy.
    Take aways are easy after a long day, and provide the "hit" you need but with supermarkets open he should have fruit and salad in the room, you sometimes have to force yourself to pick them up, as eating each night on your own gets tedious, but it must be done.

He needs to also keep an eye on the mental health which is why myself and the missus would Skype (now zoom) dinner together. 

We would try to buy the same thing,  tesco pasta salad, extra leaves and mixed fruit was the favourite. We could then eat together and catch up on our day. It brings some normality to what can be a difficult situation. 

The only place where success comes before work is the dictionary…
  • AskAskAskAsk Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    people eat takeaways and ready meals all their life!  may not be the healthiest way but a lot of people do it.

as someone said, he could buy healthier ready made meals from the supermarkets and sandwiches.  don't see a problem here.  he can also buy a small microwave and bring it into his room to heat the food up.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandtree said:
    He could take a mini-microwave or a single hob plug in induction plate etc if he really wants to be able to cook himself. Is he going back to the same hotel each time? If they are then the hotel may be willing to hold them over the weekends to avoid taking it backwards and forwards. 
    I'd be quite surprised if they were willing or able to hold such things over the weekend, and even more surprised if they were willing to allow a hotplate or microwave to be used in the room (once they knew about it). 
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sandtree said:
    Pubs and restaurants would be serving the same kind of thing as takeaways (and indeed many are now doing takeaway, or at least down here they are).

I doubt that the hotel would allow this as it would be a potential fire hazard. However, he could ask his employer if they can consider a different hotel (ideally h could do a bit of research to be able to suggest one in a similar price bracket) 

Is there a microwave he can use on site? Would he be able to prep and eat something after his shift ends and before he goes to the hotel. If there isn't, and assuming there is some sort of site office, it might be easier to get permission to get a microwave /2 ring hob there than to get permission to use one in the hotel room

What sorts of things does he want to cook? 

He could ask the hotel whether they have a microwave and would be willing to reheat anything for him.

He can manage healthier options by buying / pre-preparing  healthier cold options (there's no reason he can't buy the makings of salads / sandwiches and wraps and put these together for himself, and a cold box (particularly if he keeps it in his car rather than a heated hotel room, during the day, and parks in the shade) will act as a pantry to keep things from overheating for a day or two - I think you can also get coolers you can charge from a car lighter docket as well)

If he is getting takeaways, it's worth him asking around about local cafes or pubs offering take away food - they may have healthier options than your traditional takeaway.

If the mental health issue is that he enjoys the process then perhaps if he did salads, cold cuts and things that needs prepping and assembling but not cooking he would find it helps. 
    (also - check youtube - I recall seeing some videos by a chef who demonstrates some very creative ways to prep meals with only a kettle and (I think) trouser press! It may give him some ideas!)

All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to add - I don't think the employer has any obligation to provide cooking facilities - they are providing accommodation and (presumably) a per diem for food.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • DiamandisDiamandis Forumite
    581 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You can also usually get healthier options from takaways, so he could get supermarket food then opt for the healthier options from takeaways for something hot too. Maybe something like chicken with stir fried vegetables?