We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

No win no fee scam

Options
2»

Comments

• TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 January 2021 at 11:04PM
    Options
    Actually, just to check, did you have the insulation installed or was it in when you bought the house?
    I am probably wrong, but I can't see, if you didn't pay to install it, how you have suffered a loss to be able to seek recompense for it. I would have though the people who paid for the insulation would have the claim? 
    Would caveat emptor not apply (question for legal minds)? The house was sold as having the insulation but up to op to have the appropriate survey done when they bought? (accepting I may have the wrong term, I am not a solicitor or have a legal background).
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TripleH said:
    Actually, just to check, did you have the insulation installed or was it in when you bought the house?
    I am probably wrong, but I can't see, if you didn't pay to install it, how you have suffered a loss to be able to seek recompense for it. I would have though the people who paid for the insulation would have the claim? 
    Would caveat emptor not apply (question for legal minds)? The house was sold as having the insulation but up to op to have the appropriate survey done when they bought? (accepting I may have the wrong term, I am not a solicitor or have a legal background).
    Rereading the OP you could be right, it isn't clear and does seem to imply they didn't have it fitted themselves, OP will need to clarify but if that was the case surely they should have been informed of that at the start.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • pollypocket76
    Options
    Hi, we had it fitted back in 2009
  • Naz2020
    Options
    Hello,
    I am looking for advice please, back in 2016 we owned a house which 7 years previously had cavity wall insulation installed, because it was an old terraced house it caused a lot of damage as it had been wrongly installed, we saw you could claim compensation on a no win no fee basis so we signed up as we thought what have we got to loose, we were told it would take 12-18 months but As the months and years went by we didn’t hear much and we had 2 children a boy and girl so the house wasn’t big enough for us so we bought a new 3 bedroom house, we intended to keep the old house, do it up and rent it out but we had a lot of financial problems caused by the new house that we ended up having to sell the old house, this summer the solicitors started contacting us about the claim, as it turns out the claim had to be discontinued as we sold the house, we were no longer insured for the claim and we are now liable to pay the defences costs, nearly £11k and a legal expenses loan at nearly £8k, we have no money as covid has made us both redundant, we are living off benefits and hand outs, we have spoken to citizens advise and a few solicitors with no clear help offered, we are going to take the original claim solicitors to the law society ombudsman but we were thinking if we divorced ( the claim was only in my name not my husbands) and I signed over our house to him and then I could declare bankruptcy would this be a way of clearing these debts off my name? All this has made me poorly my mental health has really suffered this past year, has anyone dealt with any of these issues and come out the other side? Thanks 
    Hi, I know this is an old post but can you plz give an update on what happened with your claim as it could help people stuck in similar situations. Thanks 
  • pollypocket76
    Options
    Warm fronts solicitors we’re taking it all the way to court and my mental health couldn’t cope so family pitched in and borrowed us the money to settle with them, now we owe them a heck of a lot of money, we have also complained to the legal ombudsman about high st solicitors and now get an update every 3 month saying they are so busy etc
  • Naz2020
    Options
    So sorry to hear that. These no win no fee claims are a big scam, anyone thinking of signing up don't even go there. They drag on for years with no results, in the meantime ur stuck u can't sell up or renovate ur house. I know of so many in the same situation, now their solicitors have gone in to administration and the files been passed on to another firm which will drag on even further. If they discontinue the claim they're stuck with the fees to pay and repay the loans taken out in their names.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback