How to actually budget??

Options
Ok, I admit it, I'm rubbish at budgeting! I am newly debt free (partly through hard work, but also partly thanks to the pandemic restrictions). Even after all this time, I still feel like I'm learning to be a DFW. I've used spreadsheets for years, but it has recently dawned on me that my 'budgeting' is more accurately described as watching myself overspend and going oops! I have revamped my spreadsheet and set up pots to try and plan better for non routine spending, but am already getting into a muddle and am really worried I'll be running up debt as soon as covid is sorted and life goes back to normal.
I have put money in my virtual pots, but this month I need less in some pots and more in others, and I don't know whether I simply take money from one pot to top up another, or let my sheet show that I'm over budget in a category. I know in theory the idea is not to spend more than I have in a pot, but if I need more than 1/12th of my annual cleaning supplies now, how do I manage that?? I feel really foolish for not having a better grip on this after all these years, but need your expert views - how do you manage budgeting?!?!

Comments

• Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Look at what your income is going to be this year. Compare it with what you spent last year. Plan what you can spend this year from looking at these two.

Some stuff might not have happened last year (like something breaking) so you could look back further than one year to get clues about things to plan for. 

The other thing is ‘cashflow’. As you’ll know, problems with cashflow happen when the bills in one month come to more than the amount coming in. It means maybe knowing how much is going to be coming out and not buying any clothes that month and spending less in the supermarket. 

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Ellie_BB said:
    Ok, I admit it, I'm rubbish at budgeting! I am newly debt free (partly through hard work, but also partly thanks to the pandemic restrictions). Even after all this time, I still feel like I'm learning to be a DFW. I've used spreadsheets for years, but it has recently dawned on me that my 'budgeting' is more accurately described as watching myself overspend and going oops! I have revamped my spreadsheet and set up pots to try and plan better for non routine spending, but am already getting into a muddle and am really worried I'll be running up debt as soon as covid is sorted and life goes back to normal.
    I have put money in my virtual pots, but this month I need less in some pots and more in others, and I don't know whether I simply take money from one pot to top up another, or let my sheet show that I'm over budget in a category. I know in theory the idea is not to spend more than I have in a pot, but if I need more than 1/12th of my annual cleaning supplies now, how do I manage that?? I feel really foolish for not having a better grip on this after all these years, but need your expert views - how do you manage budgeting?!?!
    The answer to the bit in bold is, yes, you can do this, as long as there are available funds in other pots to cover it and you don't need that money for something else later in the month. I use YNAB and this is one of the accepted ways of handling overspends. However, you must make sure that the money you are moving from that fund is actually spare, so it can't come from, say, the fund to pay the electricity bill, it has to come from something flexible like, say, a coffee find or eating out fund, and accept that you will have less for coffee or eating out for the rest of the month. 

Of course, if there are no more available funds left then you either can't spend the money or, if it's something essential, show it as an overspend and deal with it in the following month. Ultimately, it's up to you though, i.e. which way is most useful for you, to take funds from another pot or to mark it as an overspend and therefore highlighting that something has to change for the future.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,609 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There are 2 things to consider. Budgeting or setting a limit for each category usually based on last years spend with inflation taken into account and cashflow. If you spend £2000 a year on maintaining your car but the mot and insurance are due in February and you are just starting this process then yes you will have a cashflow problem. Only for Year 1 though as hopefully you will build up a buffer.  You can borrow from other pots or change the amount you pay monthly so if you know you have lots of car expenses but very little holiday outgoings then borrow from the holiday pot. Ideally though you would overfund the pots to start with if you can afford it particularly the ones you need to access soon. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I tried budgeting more stringently than I had done previously and I had varying success, but I wrote down some lessons I had learnt, which might be useful:
    For me, it works well to mentally put aside all the spends that don't change monthly (having made sure they are the lowest they can be) eg mortgage, bill direct debits, then manage the rest of the money - it just means there are smaller amounts and fewer things to think about.
    For bigger spends, like car insurance or smaller bigger spends like the cleaning products it works well to put an allocated amount aside each month, (in addition to building an emergency fund) to build a little pot which you can take from in a lump and add to more slowly - though I personally find that cleaning supplies don't tend to run out at the same time, so I just include them in "groceries", buying them as they run out.
    There's a lot of praise for zero based budgeting and I think it's great if you can do it - I personally find that it's easier for me to allocate an "unexpected spend" or buffer in my monthly budget - then if it's not spent at the end of the month, I can save it, roll it over to next month or have a treat.

Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use YNAB, which is a great tool for essentially Zero Based Budgeting. The idea that every pound has a job. 

Let's say you have £100 on Friday, and you get paid a week later. You know you need to buy groceries, buy a birthday present for your Mum, you've been invited out to eat and you also need to pay your gas bill. What do you do?

Well, you divide up the cash you have into jobs. Your gas bill takes priority, £60 let's say, then you go to the supermarket and buy some groceries, but you end up overspending, £25. Now you need to get your Mum a present so you buy one for £10 instead of the £15 thing because you're running low. You only have a fiver left, so you turn down the invitation to go for dinner because there isn't enough in your budget.

That is basically the concept behind ZBB. YNAB is just a tool that helps with that (and one that I will forever proselytise, because it's so good at doing what it does). If you get paid monthly you need to explore your required spends with the money in your pocket until you can reasonably expect more income. 

The most basic way to start is to record every transaction under a category, and assign budget amount to those categories BEFORE you spend. It's no good knowing you need to buy groceries, spending £25 on them, and then realising you need to buy a birthday present you hadn't budgeted for. If you know how to divvy up your cash beforehand you can make the correct decisions.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 January 2021 at 8:31AM
    Options
    Ellie_BB said:
    I know in theory the idea is not to spend more than I have in a pot, but if I need more than 1/12th of my annual cleaning supplies now, how do I manage that??
    What you should do first (as suggested above) is to think carefully about whether your really need to buy more "cleaning supplies" that month or could it wait? Is there a realistic opportunity to by more this month, but then less next month?

If you decide that you do need to buy more cleaning supplies that you have budgeted for, the most important thing you need to do is increase your budget. 

Please don't worry about being "bad" at budgeting, it is a skill and like all skills it takes time and practice to get good at it. You'll get there. My life became much less stressful when I got the hang of it.

I don't use pots to manage anything other than annual expenses. I take out of my income the money I need for annual expenses such as car tax or house insurance. I also take out an amount for "house maintenance"; the amount for this is based on not much more than a guess about what we will spend over the next few years. I also take out an amount for "General Savings". I use the House Maintenance and General Savings pots as my Emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses. Once I have taken out the annual expenses and the contributions to my Emergency fund, what there is left in my bank account is what I can spend for the next month on food, petrol, eating out etc. I know that I spend about £400 a month on food for the family, and about £60 on petrol so I only spend money on eating out if I can see that I am going to have money left. I would don't have any pots for monthly expenditure - monthly expenditure comes directly out of my bank account. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use ynab which works really well for me. For Xmas I bought the book which explains how zero based budgeting works with four main guidelines/rules to follow, including a 'roll with the punches' where you overspend in a category as your priorities have changed so you pull money from a lower priority category to cover it within the month. 

Even though I have used ynab for a few years, I am enjoying the book as it reinforces things I have learnt along the way and also explains everything easily. It also states that you don't need the software for zbb, and can do it on a spreadsheet or pen and paper, it is the rules that are important. The four rules feature on their website, or the book is about a tenner from @mazon and I think it is well worth a read for someone who wants to budget.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make breakdown of my monthly expenses (in the format of a Statement of Affairs) to work out roughly what my disposable income is. As you've highlighted, it's an estimate because you can't accurately forecast how much you will spend on shopping each week, some months have more birthdays than others, etc. From that, if I had, say an average of £700 disposable income each month, I would set up a standing order to transfer £500 and leave myself £200 for the month. Anything that isn't spent by the end of the month also goes in savings. Conversely, any 'expensive' month can then be covered by savings if needed.

A breakdown of monthly expenses is useful (trawl through your bank statements to work this out, don't just guess) as it let's you see where your moneys going and if there are places for savings to be made. Also, I highly recommend setting up a standing order when you get paid to send an amount to savings - I've recommended this to a lot of people with great success. To coin the phrase as 'money burns a hole in the pocket' of many people, it can quickly alter peoples desire to spend if they see "Current account: £450" for the month (with £500 in savings) instead of "Current account: £950".

Then get in the habit of setting a goal for your savings and never touching it - defies the purpose if £20 is being transferred every other day.
    Know what you don't
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another vote for YNAB from me. Completely changed my life and the way I thought/appreciated/used/saved money. Definitely worth a go for their 34 day free trial and even if you don’t use their software you can do all of their tutorials free online. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback