Nhs dentist check up- £80?

As you can tell from title been to dental surgery to see the hygienist today. a cost of £50 to clean, descale and floss in between. it was my dentist who referred me to the hygienist. the dentists intial check up was £30.so 2 visits in all. I seem to remember not so long ago the dentist did the check up and the clean, and I dont recall it being £80.00. so if thats nhs how much would it be private. doesn't bear thinking about.

Replies

• edited 29 December 2020 at 6:35PM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 December 2020 at 6:35PM
    The hygienist will be private, not NHS. That should have been explained to you. 
    The NHS dentist will only do a scale and polish if they judge there is a clinical need and would be part of the band fixed fee. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • edited 29 December 2020 at 6:43PM
    es5595es5595 Forumite
    349 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 29 December 2020 at 6:43PM
    Tbh, it feels like the latest way for dentists to scam a bit more £ out of us. Apparently £30 from us + whatever the NHS pays isn’t “enough”. So dentists have almost totally stopped doing a scale a polish, they instead send you to their hygienist (part of the same practice etc) who is non-NHS and charges you £50. 

Ta da! £80 (plus contribution from the NHS) for a checkup, scale and polish, not £30. Winner winner... if you’re the dental practice. 
  • brook2jack2brook2jack2 Forumite
    352 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Actually the English band one fee for a check up is £23.80 , less in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, so if you paid £30 that was for a private check up not NHS.
    The NHS took cosmetic scaling out of the fee system as the NHS is there to secure health , not to improve looks. 
    For many practices they will not get anything above the £23.80 and some will actually earn less as their UDA value will be less than this , but that is a whole other conversation. 
  • clive0510clive0510 Forumite
    642 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Actually the English band one fee for a check up is £23.80 , less in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, so if you paid £30 that was for a private check up not NHS.
    The NHS took cosmetic scaling out of the fee system as the NHS is there to secure health , not to improve looks. 
    For many practices they will not get anything above the £23.80 and some will actually earn less as their UDA value will be less than this , but that is a whole other conversation. 
    ok. so the check up was the 1st visit and you are saying that should be no more than £23.80?  I'm not sure I got that receipt but I paid on credit card, so on here later I will check my statement and see what the actual figure was. 
  • brook2jack2brook2jack2 Forumite
    352 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    If you were in England that is the band one charge . Charges are less in the other home countries.
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you notice the PPE your dentist used? Or any other new equipment to reduce the risk of aerosol infection? Or an increase in hygiene & cleaning?
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    es5595 said:
    Tbh, it feels like the latest way for dentists to scam a bit more £ out of us. Apparently £30 from us + whatever the NHS pays isn’t “enough”. So dentists have almost totally stopped doing a scale a polish, they instead send you to their hygienist (part of the same practice etc) who is non-NHS and charges you £50. 

Ta da! £80 (plus contribution from the NHS) for a checkup, scale and polish, not £30. Winner winner... if you’re the dental practice. 
    Well no, it isn't enough. Anybody with experience or running a professional practice, dental or otherwise, will appreciate that.

The dentist doesn't get to keep the NHS charging band they collect on the government's behalf. They are paid on a complex formula and the fees for certain procedures they are obliged to provide fall well short of the cost of carrying them out.

However, that is not the patient's fault and the dentist should either opt out of NHS practice or stick to the rules. Rightly or wrongly they are allowed to offer private add ons (mainly cosmetic) in addition to doing clinically necessary treatment under the NHS. If the OP had a clinical need for a scale and polish it should have been provided under the NHS. If  more involved work of that type was needed it could be a NHS band 2 treatment (c. £62) so getting closer to what the OP paid. If it was just cosmetic then it should have been made clear to the patient that it was a private "optional extra" which they could buy or not as they pleased.
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much exactly what I'd write UV :)

The OP should have been more aware of which bits were NHS and which bits were private, but if he's feeling this is the 'latest' scam - then I get the feeling he's probably not been to the dentist since 2006, when the 'latest' scam was foisted on dentists! 

Patients should get a costed treatment plan though, and be clear what is being provided privately and what is on the NHS.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • clive0510clive0510 Forumite
    642 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    thanks everyone for the comments. in future when I visit the dentist I shall have the check up and any necessary work done. as for the hygienist I shall enquire as to how important a visit is. if its going to help my teeth stay good and enable me to keep my own teeth longer, then thats fine. 
    if however its purely for cosmetic reasons, well actually I don't think at my age, (and for the sake of £50) I'm too worried about that. from my point of view this is a lesson learned. thanks.