Diamonds factory - help with purchase

Hi All - hoping you could help.
After lots of browsing, I decided to purchase an engagement ring from Diamonds Factory. It has great reviews on TrustPilot and they have a branch in Hatton Garden.
The picture below is of the spec. As you'll see, the Cut/Pol/Sym shows as excellent, but on the receipt, it shows the 'Cut' as good. I was wondering what the difference was, I tried to spec as high as my budget could afford, but I'm a little confused about the Cut/Pol/Sym vs Cut grading.
If anyone more knowledgable then me could help that'd be great.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm no diamond expert, but is sounds like you have not bought what you thought you were buying. I would call them and ask to upgrade the Cut/Polish/Symmetry to Excellent. If they can't I would cancel the order and try another dealer. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Great reviews on Trustpilot ??
    Mmmmmmm

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Great reviews on Trustpilot ??
    Mmmmmmm

What is it they say? "Never trust Trustpilot"?
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    On the website you've bought from, there is a section named 'education'.
    It explains 'cut' and the difference between excellent, very good, good.
    Guessing that pol/sym is polish/symmetry but they don't explain those two terms on their website but to me 'excellent' means 'excellent'. Not 'good'.

'Cut' is not the most important aspect of a diamond - clarity and colour are (obviously assuming same carat size) - but if I'd bought a diamond ring that said 'excellent' cut, that's what I'd expect to get.

I was once shown a loose diamond in India that was a very good colour and great clarity (i.e. not many inclusions).
    But it had been very poorly cut and had no lustre - it was dull and reflected no light. The girdle was actually visibly rough.

You've gone for the best colour (D) and high clarity (VVS1) which is just below IF (internally flawless).
    I'd want that diamond to be excellent cut too.

Have you spoken to the company?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure