Challenging a re-Valuation re-banding?

Hi All, I am hoping for some advice please.
On Christmas Eve (thanks Cotswold District Council Happy Christmas to you too!), My family and I received a 
Notice of Alteration to an existing entry in the valuation list
  • This takes us from Band E to Band G and will cost us £70 more per month.
  • The reason is "The Property has been sold and the improvements that were made to the property prior to the sale have affected the council tax banding"
  • It is true that the previous owners made extensive development to the property since they bought it. We purchased the property in July 2018, so I am thankful that the council are not asking for 30 months of backdating.
  • Our house is a unique one off build (previous owners were a married Architect couple) on our road so there is no direct comparison possible, however clearly the purchase price we paid in 2018 is known.

That said my questions are
1) Is there any point in trying to challenge this decision, as we are jumping by 2 bands and there is not mathematical/ justification calculations to explain how the VOA work backwards to deduce a 1991 value from the range £88k-£120k up to the new band of £160k to £320k? I would propose to go up by one band to Band F.
2) Given that this is not a reassessment request, if I were to challenge it, is there any risk that they could propose an even higher band? The only band left is the top band H. I.e. is there anything to lose by trying - including any risk of backdating request?
3) If it is suggested that I try to challenge for only a single band increase rather than two bands, do you have any further suggestions or advice that I should include in my "formal proposal"

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Chris

Comments

• Council Tax bands can be reassessed after a sale if there has been improvements to the property.

Guidance here!
    Council Tax band changes - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

If you use google, a lot of bull does come up!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,629 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you can see where the changes to the house have taken place, do you think the alterations would have increased its value by 35% which is about the percentage increase from top of Band E to Band G.?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Hi, depending on where we were within each range, based on the midpoint of each range the jump is 40% from E to F and 230% from E to G.
    However because the ranges are quite wide the largest jump (min E to max G) is 360% and the smallest jump is 133% - I see why you mentioned 35%
    To be fair our house was originally a large sixties bungalow, and was completely rebuilt into now a large 6 bed modern house so its probably more than doubled in size (on the same nice plot of land). So, its a fair cop, our house is probably worth almost double what it would have been. 
    I managed to compare with our neighbours also, there are 3 adjacent, 2 of them are F and the other most comparible is also showing as G.
    So I guess we're stuffed, always felt like a good deal, but now we're certainly paying a chunk more.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,301 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    While there aren't any houses that look like yours, are there any of similar current value in the area?  What council tax band are they in?  Or the other way, what did other band F/G houses in the area sell for around the time you bought yours?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Isn't the first step to get it valued by an estate agent?
    I got my house re-banded in 1991 when the council tax was first introduced. Fortunately, I had a valuation that was done for probate when I'd inherited it three years previously in 1988, so I used that and the Valuation Office's own published statistics to show that the degree of inflation implied by the banding was implausible.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,629 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As the property was doubled in size and is now 6 bed, unless it is in a very cheap area, I can't see Band G being unreasonable. When I was in VOA, a modern 6 bed house would be well into Band G. Even bottom of Band E to bottom of Band G would only be about 80%.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • jack_pott said:
    Isn't the first step to get it valued by an estate agent?
    I got my house re-banded in 1991 when the council tax was first introduced. Fortunately, I had a valuation that was done for probate when I'd inherited it three years previously in 1988, so I used that and the Valuation Office's own published statistics to show that the degree of inflation implied by the banding was implausible.
    As we purchased in July 2018 I guess they have pretty recent valuation data
  • Thank you all for your advice and input, I have decided not to challenge the decision as it seems fair, if disappointing to have to find another £70 per month. That wipes out a lot of money saving experting! I am grateful at least that it wasn't backdated.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As you can only appeal the valuation within the first six months of the VOA's decision, you may want to appeal just to make sure that, the banding is correct.
     After six months you can only ask nicely and no longer have appeal rights

elmer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport