Just has 2 bottom molars taken out. What's the next step?

Hi all.

As per the thread title, I've just had 2 bottom right molars taken out. What next?

The dentist kinda ushered me out saying to give him a call in a few days time to arrange another appointment.

What options are there?

Thanks.

Replies

• ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well - from the wealth of information given there, I'd say 

1. Give the dentist a call in a few days time

2. Don't give the dentist a call in a few days time.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • edited 17 December 2020 at 11:57AM
    ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 December 2020 at 11:57AM
    I've just realised you're the Conrad who was asking about what happens when his dentist is off ill.

Well, I'm glad you've been sorted out so quick - but was this your own dentist who is now back, or someone standing in for him?

If the latter - then he will just be carrying out the most urgent items on the treatment plan, and so probably won't know the long term plan for you. They'd also probably be quite rushed trying to get through the injured dentist's priority patients. 

If it was your own dentist back again, he'd probably be rushed trying to get through the backlog, and not much time to give good explanations about 'what next' to his patients. 

So - in both cases - the 'option 1' I gave above seems the best one. Ring them back later. At least you've had the urgent stuff sorted.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • Conrad3000Conrad3000 Forumite
    122 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks TS.  And yes, it was the original dentist that carried out the extractions.

And what are my options on the NHS? Apparently dental implants aren't given, so I don't know where that leaves me.

I'm worried about harming the space/gums where the molars were when chewing food. Also it could weaken the adjoining teeth.

Am I basically going to be left with a huge space?
  • ApintpleaseApintplease Forumite
    307 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Thanks TS.  And yes, it was the original dentist that carried out the extractions.

And what are my options on the NHS? Apparently dental implants aren't given, so I don't know where that leaves me.

I'm worried about harming the space/gums where the molars were when chewing food. Also it could weaken the adjoining teeth.

Am I basically going to be left with a huge space?
    Short answer - yes

All the NHS can. do for you is extract, and if further down the line its appropriate , you will be offered a plate

You want anything else , then its private. Depending on why you had extractions in the first place will also determine what private treatment is appropriate 

For back molars, a plate isn't really needed, in a month or so you won't even notice the gap

Your dentist won't be rushing to offer a plate as s/he will be wanting to wait till your gums have hardened and done all the shrinking they are going to do. The longer the time between extraction and fitting, the better chance of a successful plate

TBH Id leave well alone. Plates are not natural, they take a long time to get used too. Just remember not to be laughing with mouth wide open and no one will notice you have lost teeth :)
    9.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would be advised by the dentist.

It's true we don't need every tooth in our head, and the odd molar missing probably wouldn't make much difference.

It's also true that dentures (Plate referred to above) are not the easiest thing to get used to.
    But the mouth needs to be considered as a whole. What teeth should bite against the removed ones? What is the health of the rest of the teeth now? Are any of them likely to be lost in the future?

Sometimes leaving a gap will affect the function, and might hasten further tooth loss. Often, it won't.
    Another thing to consider is that at the moment you're relatively young. Getting used to a small denture will be difficult, but younger people are more adaptable that older people. If further tooth loss happens as you get older, then going from nothing to a bigger denture will be much harder to get used to than getting used to a smaller denture now. 

None of the above are 'recommendations'. I can't see you, I don't know what's going on - but these are questions you need to ask your existing dentist, or the discussion you need to have with him. It's not urgent though, as has been said above, a certain amount of healing has to happen before a denture will be provided anyway.
    How to find a dentist.
  • Conrad3000Conrad3000 Forumite
    122 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    One more thing; If I see the dentist again in a few weeks time to have a check-up on the extracted teeth, will I have to pay again?
    9.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert on NHS charging regulations. 
    If you still have treatment to be done though, as part of the same course - then ask when you go to get the other things done.

Your dentist told you to make another appt when you left. Was that for your next check up (a new course of treatment so a fresh charge) or to carry on with treatment you need (the same course)

If it was for a fresh check up in 6 months, then it will be a new charge, but it will wait until then. If he thought you needed something to go in the gap sooner, he would have told you. 
    How to find a dentist.