Christmas dinner eaten elsewhere.

edited 6 December 2020 at 12:16AM in Old Style MoneySaving
31 replies 8.5K views

Replies

• JIL said:
    Floss said:
    JIL said:
    One of each couple has dementia, so its not that straight forward. 
    But their partners will have preferences and would probably appreciate the question.

Crackers, chocs, cheese & biscuits, wine, LED candles.
    Table gifts? Promise of a Zoom call for lighting your Christmas pudding? 
    They are just genuinely grateful. Everytime they have been at Christmas, (or any other time) theres always been a choice. 
    I and husband will still do our Christmas food and will cater for us and children and two partners. So I'm hoping that we can cook once, feed 12 in three different homes.
    Zoom isnt something we can do, no wifi and would be great if it were possible.
    Jil, i have just re read the whole thread

Now I dont know if like me, you cook your meats long before dinner? Like here in this house I cook a goose on Christmas Eve , then early Christmas Day I cook a ham and turkey  - all out of the oven long before 12, cos I like to go to the pub. I also cook up the stuff like carrot and parsnip mash, make the gravy, par boil the roasties and prep whatever needs prepping

What Im thinking is, if you are like me, then its not a million miles away to cook enough veg for all four, have your wee hamper ( box ) ready with the extra, then you and hubby go do the deliveries to the olds whilst the adult children get the rest of your dinners ready. If you have two drivers and two cars, one could do each side, help serve up, break a cracker and be home within the hour which is when your own roasties will be out of the oven? Neither set of parents having to juggle with the microwave, you get to spend a wee bit of time, it breaks all of yours day up a wee bit

Your day may not be the exact timetable that you are all used to, your dinner may be an hour later, but this is a strange year and we are all having to juggle and reset the clock 

With my mum, we have her trained for a 3pm dinner ( lol ) so she will have either a later breakfast or will take a small early lunch. Actually we only get starter at 3pm, dinner is closer to 4pm :)

Anyways, just thoughts on how to manage things, may or may not be helpful but all the same , its great your and yours are being so very sensible about this Christmas, Thank youxx

• mamanmaman Forumite
    26.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I thought I'd revisit the thread for advice on reheating.

I'm planning to cook for my DD and her family. She's now going to collect the food so that means I can have a tipple while I'm cooking! 😁 I offered to do this as she's a key worker and I want to make life easier as she's not coming to us as usual. 

Although it's not very mse I've decided to cook her meal and some of ours (meats, potatoes, parsnips carrots, gravy etc) in advance.  I'll cook her greens but  but leave our sprouts (more accurately DH's sprouts😉), broccoli, cauli and cook that  after she's gone. It'll give us time to have a socially distanced chat.

I don't want to plate up her meal. I appreciate that it's different for those cooking for the elderly.   I want them to serve up as much as they fancy and keep leftovers for later/Boxing Day as we would if she was here. 

I'm thinking of putting the meat (wrapped in foil), roast potatoes, parsnips in a foil tray for  reheating in the oven. Carrots, greens in plastic tubs for the microwave and gravy in a pot to reheat on the hob.  Any advice?
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    A sturdy bag to transport it. You don't want it sliding all over the place in the car or by hand so pack it firmly so there's no movement.
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Or a box lined with newspaper?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    26.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks for those ideas. Would you agree that some things are better reheated in the oven than the microwave? 🤔

The last time I remember anything like this was when my father had his dinner reheated over a saucepan of water when he was late home from work. Microwaves didn't exist then! 🤣
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Forumite
    I'd definitely say that things like meat, roast potatoes and roasted veg would definitely be nicer reheated in the oven.  Veg are fine reheated in the microwave.

• mamanmaman Forumite
    26.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks denise. I was thinking about which veg is better kept moist. 🤔
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Forumite
    maman couldn't your DD just cook the veg fresh while the meat is reheating?  Fresh veg is much nicer particularly things like cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels - nothing worse than overcooked veg.  
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    26.4K Posts
    Forumite
    I had wondered about that. I'll think about it. It only takes 10 minutes. No sprouts involved, only DH eats them...annually! 🤣