40th Birthday gift ideas for me

Will be 40 end of January. Parents have been asking me what do I want for my birthday. Have no clue.

A few things about me
. live alone in my own place for 11 years 
. Got plenty of tech
. not into fashion or jewellery 
. TV and music are biggest things I love
. Don’t do any sports or fitness- bar walking.

The only things I have bought was a 40 mug and gin glass from a card/gift shop which closed in mid Feb.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've always thought that good quality luggage makes a special gift. If your current suitcase is getting tatty, you might ask for new one, in the hope that international travel will be practical at some point in the future!

If you don't have a very good coat (warm, windproof & waterproof) that might also be an idea. It's nice when you have the right gear to be very comfortable when you are outside. It helps not to be fashion conscious as good coats seem to struggle to be stylish.

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I would go for 'experiences' rather than material goods.  Unfortunately Covid-19 and the need for social distancing has put paid to a lot of experiences but maybe (a promise of) Ticketmaster vouchers/ Theatre vouchers / driving experiences / tickets to a sports event.  
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    Well if you don’t know its no surprise they are struggling!

What sort of budget are you anticipating? 

One option is experiences if you feel you have enough stuff, could be a gig or a trip somewhere depending on budgets. Rather than a glass or mug with a number on it you could instead go for a vintage wine, port, champagne etc from 1981 if you like your drinks or just a nice bottle of your favourite drink if your more a spirits person and the budget is modest.

Outside that, a donation to a cause that you care about on your behalf
  • Funds toward learning something new? If you are not driving, driving lessons! - it absolutely makes you free’er then you can ever imagine if you don’t currently drive - and it’s never to late to learn.
    A new hair do?
    Cash to do what you like or for when needed.

• When I was 40, friends & family arranged for a flight to Egypt. Fell in love with the place, but if you were to ask what else I received, I haven't a clue. Go for something that will leave you with never to be forgotten memories.
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • Anthony Constantinou CEO CWM FX believes in customized gifts. We all need something that looks good and feel good. At the age of 40 customized gifts are best options
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you love music then my suggestion is concert tickets. I'd be tempted to try and get something towards the back end of next year though, so there's a tleast a possibiity it would go ahead.
    Or if you're wanting something more practical what about something for your walking? A good pair of boots, a certain rucksack any items that would be handy on them. 
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,473 Forumite
    If you like walking, how about a gift subscription to geocaching.com? Geocaching - Premium Gift Membership
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure