Winter fuel payment recipients urged to check details after 60,000+ letters with incorrect info sent

in Energy
18 replies 2.3K views
Former_MSE_NaomiFormer_MSE_Naomi Former MSE
519 Posts
Second Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
Tens of thousands of people who are eligible for winter fuel payments are being urged to check their details after 60,000-plus letters on the scheme were sent out with incorrect information, which in a small number of cases could affect how much you're paid. Here's what to watch out for and what you need to do...

Read the full story:

'Winter fuel payment recipients urged to check details after 60,000+ letters with incorrect information sent out'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• CornardtyeCornardtye Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    My husband now apparently doesn’t live with me, although he has had his payment. I contacted the site and , after 3 tries and a long wait , the very apologetic lady sorted it. Be aware they need not only your NI number but your pension details as well. 
    1000’s affected she said 
  • edited 9 December 2020 at 12:52PM
    oldagetraveller1oldagetraveller1 Forumite
    739 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 9 December 2020 at 12:52PM
    I did receive the letter a few days ago. The extra £10 payment was credited to my bank account (DWP XB) on the 7th, but not the £200 yet. I have to assume, without digging out the letter, they have the correct bank account (checked, they do, last four numbers are correct).
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    We both got ours into our bank accounts a couple ow weeks ago
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • HelonwheelsHelonwheels Forumite
    61 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    For the past 7+ years we have received our letter and payment in November but have not had anything yet this year.  First time I tried to call they cut me off the second time I was told that they could not check their system for missing payments until 23 December at the earliest plus apparently there have not been any issues and Martin Lewis is wrong, I know who I believe and it is not the DWP.
  • edited 9 December 2020 at 9:50PM
    CRISPIANNE3CRISPIANNE3 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 December 2020 at 9:50PM
    I received my letter advising fuel payment should be made by 23 December. Also no sign of the £10.00 bonus.  I was relying on that for buying my significant half Christmas present. Oh well!
  • CRISPIANNE3CRISPIANNE3 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I received my letter advising fuel payment should be made by 23 December. Also no sign of the £10.00 bonus.  I was relying on that for buying my significant half Christmas present. Oh well!
    Arrived today but no sign of the £10.00 bonus as yet.
  • j_ccj_cc Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    my mum was 80 on 22/09/2020 (born 22/09/1940) the government winter fuel link from martin's page implies she needs to be born on or before 27/09/1940 to receive £300. martin's page says on or before 20/09/1940 for the £300 payment. which is the right date please? thanks for your help!
  • edited 10 December 2020 at 10:58AM
    oldagetraveller1oldagetraveller1 Forumite
    739 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 10 December 2020 at 10:58AM

£10, cheapskate! :D
    Yes, the letter advises to contact DWP if bank account has not been credited by 23rd Dec..
  • TriciagarTriciagar Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Not received my letter yet or the fuel allowance. The £10 bonus has been paid. Tried to contact DWP and kept being cut off. 
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you all wait until 23rd December rather than clog up the phone lines on unnecessary calls? 
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2022 - £1 a day challenge £582/£730
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2021 - £1 a day challenge £828/£638.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £634/£366..