Removed text

edited 15 November 2021 at 1:59PM in Old Style MoneySaving
21 replies 10.4K views

Replies

• Can anyone tell me what on earth this absurd thread has to do with money , savings or anything relating to what MSE is all about  ?  I hope Moderators will note these sorts of posts, because otherwise they will all be reported.
  • Pan is too hot
     Do you have a lid to a frying pan? Cos if you want perfect "fried" eggs, small about of oil, heat, add egg, as it sets, add a dash of hot water and put the lid on. The steam will cook the top of the egg :)

• I love a bubbly brown crispy fried egg.  I have to whack the heat up to get it (OH never cooks them hot enough and they're flat and dense), so I agree with the others, your pan and oil are too hot.
  • AshagillAshagill Forumite
    53 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have perfected my fried eggs! My partner likes over easy (bit of runny yolk). I put a small amount of butter in a medium pan (not too hot) with a sprinkle of salt. Put the egg in, and salt the top. When the white of the egg has cooked, (about 3-4 mins) flip it in the pan and take the pan off the heat immediately, and leave it in the pan for 30 sec-1 min for over easy, or leave it on the heat for about 1 min, then take it off.
    You will have the perfect fried eggy.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." ~ Abraham Lincoln
  • Ian_Faraday-WhiteIan_Faraday-White Forumite
    5 Posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Pan far too hot. My fried eggs are in the pan as long as the bacon is under the grill
  • Can anyone tell me what on earth this absurd thread has to do with money , savings or anything relating to what MSE is all about  ?  I hope Moderators will note these sorts of posts, because otherwise they will all be reported.
    Seriously?

This is one of the boards where its not all about money or savings

Its OLD STYLE

Where if someone needs advice on cooking an egg its perfectly allowed within the rules

Because learning how to cook an egg is extremely money saving. Someone learns how to cook a meal from scratch and no further eggs are allocated to the bin
  • REJPREJP Forumite
    288 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Black indicates too much heat or oil that has been previously used to cook meat etc and left in the pan.
    You can always !!!!!! the bubbles as soon as they appear.
  • REJPREJP Forumite
    288 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not absurd.  If the egg is really inedible and is thrown away due to black deposits, that is a waste of money.  If advice helps the questioner to save eggs, it means saving money which is what this forum is about.  If turning the heat down cooks the eggs properly, the questioner is saving gas or whatever fuel is used by using less.    This is particularly relevant when using a halogen hob, turn it off well before eggs are cooked, leave the pan on the hob and you will save a lot of electricity over the course of a year.  Any advice which helps save power is relevant.
  • button_boxbutton_box Forumite
    55 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you don't want the crispy frill on your fried egg your pan is too hot. Crispy frilled eggs are called " French Fried Eggs".  Some people who do French Fried eggs do it in deep oil (as though they were going to fry chips). You just drop them in as though you were going to poach them in a pan of water and they puff up and crisp. Years ago I worked in a private house on a country estate and I was told they liked their eggs with a crispy frill. They were amazed that this actually had a name. It's the protein in the egg white that crisps up quickly if the oil is hot. If you want a softer egg white don't heat your oil too high. There are 3 parts to a fresh egg  not 2. If you crack an egg onto a plain plate you should see a watery bit of white, an inner white which should be slightly domed and sitting up from the watery white and finally the yolk which should also be quite domed. As the egg ages you get more watery white which spreads out in the pan and that will go frilly and crispy if your oil is too hot. To avoid wasting eggs you could go a bit "cheffy" and put a metal food ring or pastry cutter(wipe the inside with a bit of oil) into the pan, wait for it to heat up a bit and crack the egg into that and cook in the ring. You can then either baste the top with some of the hot oil from the pan or steam with a lid on. If you are going to use butter to fry remember to add a drop of oil to stop the butter burning, particularly if you are using salted butter.  It is good to get things the way you want them.  A phenomenal amount of eggs are thrown out every year as waste and they are a good source of inexpensive protein.