Video interview dilemma

Hi, I have a Microsoft Teams interview next week but nowhere to have it. That is, it's smack bang in the middle of my travel time from one job to another - two buses across the city.

It's a bank admin job with a hospital and I know, from experience, their interviews are generally very quick and informal. Of course, I wouldn't dream of doing if on the bus 😆 but I can't imagine it would look good to be standing outdoors in a quiet street either.

Has anyone else had a video interview in a less than conventional setting? 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 November 2020 at 11:10AM
    Outdoors in a quiet street will be the best option, given the circumstances you describe, unless it's post lockdown, in which case you'll have other options.
  • John_
    John_ Posts: 925 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Is there not a park that you could stop at, or a bench somewhere?
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Can you just make them aware you'll be travelling between two jobs, that you have X amount of time and can do it outdoors (in a private space) to be helpful if that's OK with the interviewer but if not then X, Y and Z times would work better when you are around at home?
  • I'd probably try and take some time off from the second job to get to an appropriate location. Outdoors may be okay but it's weather dependant. That is what you would do if it was a face to face interview. 
  • Contact them and ask for advice, I’ve always found NHS interviewers to be helpful. 
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Make sure you use headphones so it can't be overheard. 
    Use mute when you aren't talking. 
    Set your background to that of something suitable.
    I would try and arrange to leave the first job early, arrive at the 2nd job later or try and fit your lunch around the appointment.

Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • veraclaythorne
    veraclaythorne Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 27 November 2020 at 9:14PM
    Thanks for the help everyone. 

No matter whether I leave one job early and get to the other later, or take the afternoon off (which I actually can't) I still just don't have an indoor location. I also can't ask for a different time as if you can't attend what they have given you, you have to withdraw your application.

As it happens, this is actually the best day and time for me as I would have really struggled any other time, it's just the location problem. 

My best bet, as suggested, would be a local park, if I can actually get there quickly enough. It really depends if my first bus arrives on time. Otherwise, it will just have to be a quiet street as there's literally nowhere else. 
  • lady1964
    lady1964 Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I was offered an interview over MS teams whilst I was on holiday in Greece. I contacted them and explained that I was happy to accept but that I was in Greece on holiday. They were perfectly happy to still do the interview although they did say they were a little envious of me as I sat on my sunny terrace 😀  I also got the job.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback