WFA - First time?

I know I am eligible this year for WFA. SP in payment since April and 66 in June before the September cut off. My question is do I need to apply or will it arrive automatically? My sister, BIL and a friend who have already received it in past years, have had letters about this years already, granted not in their banks yet. I have read different scenarios, some that you do need to apply, others that since SP is paid, you don’t, it is automatically applied. 
I know I have until early next year to ask, if is not paid in November/December.
Paddle No 21:wave:

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Googling on WFA would have got you straight to the info you need: https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment
  • Dox said:
    Googling on WFA would have got you straight to the info you need: https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment
    Which I did in deed do but then elsewhere it said you needed to apply. Hence wanting to check. Agree you will no doubt say this is the official site, so it must be right. But it never hurts to double check. I wanted to know what others had happen. Nearly the end of November, no letter yet. I’m sure the departments are busy with COVID payments this year.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2020 at 6:02AM
    I've had my letter, it arrived Tuesday.  But last year it was well into December.
  • Mine arrived today.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anybody actually received WFA yet ? Looking back ,I've received it around 25th November for the last 9 years, but nothing yet in the bank.
  • badmemory
    Last year mine arrived on 26th Nov but no sign as yet this year.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For info. of others - our WFA payments arrived in our bank account today.   :D
  • No sign of my WFA yet but I do now have my £10.00 Christmas bonus.
  • badmemory
    No sign of my WFA yet but I do now have my £10.00 Christmas bonus.

Me too!  That is unusual, they usually arrive the other way round.
  • badmemory said:
    No sign of my WFA yet but I do now have my £10.00 Christmas bonus.

Me too!  That is unusual, they usually arrive the other way round.
    I pay my electric by DD and while having the WFA means I know I can keep my home warm and don’t need to worry.  When it actually arrives, so long as it will, was my main concern. The £200 is factored in and spread over the 12 months.  I probably will look at it as a savings account for Christmas, arriving at the right time of year to pay for extra spending in January when the bills come in.
    The only thing I don’t use DD for is my NT membership (I have cancelled Kew and Royal Palaces membership, due to having to book tickets in advance). It is one reason I would like SP to be paid monthly rather than every four weeks.  I suppose it keeps the brain active having to check the bank account🤔. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure