New Bank Account after Bankruptcy Order

Hi all,

My bankruptcy order was made last Friday 20/11, the official reciever has already been in contact with my current bank, but they are still yet to be froze. A letter from the OR to myself stated I should try open a new one.

Today I have opened a basic cash account with TSB. During the application it didn’t ask if I had been made bankrupt. The application was accepted and the account is now open. 

Is it safe for me to start using? Will it be froze? Will TSB close the account when my credit file updates and they find out I’m bankrupt? I’m just slightly apprehensive where I should leave my rent money as its due in a few days. I tried calling TSB but I would of got more sense from my hamster than the woman I was talking to.

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• Could be frozen TSB were one of the banks that didnt seem really friendly towards bankruptcy.......problem is no consistency what one persons had another isnt always guaranteed.....the only sure fire accounts used to be  barclays basic acc and the co-op bank cashminder account..
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • If you are concerned just tell your OR that you have opened it and ask them to write to TSB confirming they have no interest in it.
  • At the end of the day it's up to the bank..but the Lloyds group are not BR friendly..co op Barclays and Nationwide are most friendly 
  • Minkym00 said:
    If you are concerned just tell your OR that you have opened it and ask them to write to TSB confirming they have no interest in it.

although as I said.....NO guarantee the bank will still let the accound continue...
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    A basic Monzo online account is open to everyone, you are only credit checked if you want to add an OD or other borrowing.
    You can open one online in 30 seconds as long as you possess photo id, and a smartphone or Ipad/tablet with a camera.
    Very quick, easy and simple.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback